by kevdyas85 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

4GEE Router / 4GEE WiFi & Data Gifting

I have ordered (and received) a 4GEE Router with 200GB of data which I was hoping would replace my current 2 x 64GB plans I have but it seems that this device is treated differently (almost a second rate customer) and won’t allow me to gift data to it? 

There’s no mention of this on the shop page (https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details) and appears to be sold just like any other 4GEE WiFi product. 

Why is there a difference? Why can’t I gift data to the device (I’ve actually put the SIM in a standard mobile WiFi device)? Are there any other differences with what I can and cannot do with this connection?

still within the 14 days so I can always change my mind and return it, just don’t understand why it is marketed as a device option for 4GEE WiFi but not treated as such.

Kevin

33 REPLIES 33
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: 4GEE Router / 4GEE WiFi & Data Gifting

Hello @kevdyas85 you can gift data to a 4GEE WiFi device but not a 4GEE Home device:

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/data-gifting-terms-and-conditions-november-2017.pdf

You will be able to gift data from any Pay Monthly handset,
tablet or 4GEE WiFi device to any other Pay Monthly handset,
tablet or WiFi device that belongs to the same Pay Monthly
account. You cannot gift data to any other mobile number, or
any other device. 4GEE Home Devices are not eligible to
receive or donate data.

🙂

Established Contributor

That’s what I found when I discovered I couldn’t data gift however the shop page for the device makes no mention this is a 4GEE HOME device. It is offered as a choice of one of five WiFi devices in the shop and doesn’t differentiate it as being any different in terms of the service provided/available only that it needs plugging into a standard home socket (much like the car device needs connecting to a 12v socket).

Are there any other limitations to this account? Can I still roam? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You may use it to use data & text in the EU.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Thanks. +5 other destinations according to my confirmation email. I’m just not convinced this is the case given this is treated differently to other 4GEE devices available.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, your allowances are valid in 5 countries outside the EU but these MBB devices don't seem to be designed to work outside the EU.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

There are no other limitations for 4GEE Home devices that I am aware of. As with all data SIM cards it will not come with a minutes allowance like a phone SIM card. Yes you can take the device abroad and use it for roaming but this may need to be enabled first:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/EE-roaming-Getting-ready-to-use-your-phone-abroad/td-p/532570

Although I am not 100% I think the difference between a 4GEE WiFi device and a 4GEE home device is a 4GEE WiFI device has a battery for portability and a 4GEE Home device is powered by mains only to be used indoors like a BB router.

🙂

Established Contributor

Or inside the EU given they come with a fixed 3pin UK plug lol! Not to worry, I have the SIM card in my Netgear Nighthawk as it was the data allowance I wanted but doesn’t seem to be available on their normal MiFi devices.

Kev

Established Contributor

Thanks @tm90

Just don’t understand the limitation to not be able to data gift.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

This page, Phones and devices guides , is interesting & might shine some light on the distinction.

The 4GEE Router counts as "Home broadband" & not as either "4GEE WiFi" nor "Mobile broadband".

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I think it is just EE being tight with the larger data allowances for 4GEE Home plans but that is my personal opinion.

Maybe to stop people taking out cheaper phone plans with smaller data allowances then gifting the extra data every month?

Established Contributor

They could do with updating the shop pages then as scroll to the bottom and it says “What you will get with 4GEE WiFi” and appears in the shop under “Mobile Broadband” along with their other mobile broadband devices *rolleyes*

Established Contributor

I considered that @tm90but the larger data allowances aren’t exactly cheap (although they are at the moment). 

They need to to make the page clearer IMHO

Established Contributor

Some of the data allowances are the same on the other devices but presumably don’t have the gifting limitation.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Which device are you looking at? As far as I am aware only the one device is a 4GEE Home device and all others are eligible for data gifting.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H states in How can I use my EE mobile in China & Japan? , e.g.,

Just be aware some mobile wifi devices will not work outside the EU.

With this confusion as to its classification it is unclear whether this applies to this particular model but it's a risk.

Established Contributor

It’s the 4GEE Router I got @tm90 - it makes no mention of it being a 4GEE Home device anywhere within the shop hence my confusion until I found something mentioned about 4GEE Home when I was researching why I couldn’t data gift. 

My ‘thing’ is that the device is sold in the same manner as all the other devices just with a larger data allowance (otherwise I would have picked a different device) but is treated differently. Yet the car device which is limited to a car in the same was this device is limited to being used somewhere with standard power is still deemed the same as the other WiFi options available. 

Established Contributor

I think that’s to do with the signal bands @XRaySpeX - I’ve no plans of visiting China or Japan so should be fine. Smiley Happy

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I agree that the shop page is unclear and this needs mentioning in a little legal bit at the bottom of the page like others do. However, they have differentiated by advertising it as a 4GEE Router not a 4GEE WiFi device at the top:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details

The CarFi device is not battery operated but is portable as in you move around in a car with it. Again I agree this could be clarified.

In fairness to EE data gifting is a brand new service and it always takes time to iron out these technicalities that can be overlooked.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

China or Japan isn't the point. The answer is to the point that some MBB devices will not work outside the EU. There have been numerous same replies by EE staff to travellers to various non-EU countries incl. USA.

Yes, I believe it is to do with mobile signal bands.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.