by castlemaster Established Contributor
Established Contributor

4GEE Home Router keeps powering off?

Hi there,

I have been more than happy with my 4GEE Home router since it arrived, well, until I had the external antenna fitted this week. Don't get me wrong, the antenna works perfectly, signal is 100% better, faster speeds etc. 

The problem I have is that ever since it's been installed, every couple of days my router will just switch itself off, partially. It responds to pings but the web interface doesn't respond and it won't route any data. The led light is on the network port but the blue lights on the front of the unit are completely off.

Software version:
HH70_E1_02.00_18
Modem version:
HH70_E1_02.00_18

Any advice?

Thanks

63 REPLIES 63
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: 4GEE Home Router keeps powering off?

Hi @castlemaster

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

Is it switching itself off after a period of inactivity or is it just turning itself off in general?

Have you spoken to our technical team at all?

It may be worth a quick call into them to report this.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

I suspect innactivity, not spoken to tech team yet, need to get ready for an hour on the phone for that 😛

by

I think it will just be down to inactivity and power saving as well @castlemaster

Don't let anything get in the way of good Friday Fish and Chips 🙂

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The 4GEE Home Router shouldn't need to power save as it doesn't have a battery but is run from the mains.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

I imagine it is powersaving, but there are no options at all on the config to disable them, ssh'd in but couldnt' find any active logfiles either to see if there was some kind of power state logged in there.

I'll leave something pinging for the day to see if that stop sit powering down.

by

Please keep us updated @castlemaster

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

Well I can confirm it stayed awake all night, so it's definitley something to do with the power saving settings on the device, clearly it goes into power saving but never wakes up.

I'll try again tonight with wifi on but no devices attached.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@castlemaster wrote:

it's definitley something to do with the power saving settings on the device

What power saving settings on the device? I thought you said there aren't any.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

there are no power saving settings at all on the thing, not that you can see or change anyway

Established Contributor

it seems I can ssh to the box and login, does anyone know where the configs are for busybox that I can check for power saving options?

Established Contributor

OK last night left wifi on the box (I normally just have i off and use wired) but no devices connected, again this morning, no response from the box for routing or web, SSH works and I can ping it, the wifi light is on the box but no devices will connect to wifi.

Does anyone else have one of these boxes they can try the same with at all? (i.e leave all devices disconnected overnight) so we can establish if it's just a fault with my box?

Although I can SSH in, no signs of any logfiles in /var/log at all

by

Hi @castlemaster

Thanks for trying that.

I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks 🙂

Chris

Established Contributor

Thanks Chris,

I'll reply to the PM now.

Established Contributor

Hi,

I wanted to leave it a few days just to be sure, but it seems the original unit I had must have been faulty as the replacement router doesn't powerdown now, so many thanks for a speedy replacement 🙂

by

Afternoon @castlemaster

Thanks for coming back to the community and letting us know.

Glad everything is working for you now 🙂

Have a lovely day.

Established Contributor

Hmm, seems I spoke too soon.

The router has gone down twice since yesterday, infact once it did it in the middle of a speedtest and once again overnight, exactly same symptoms as before, no lights on top of router but responds to SSH but no reply at all on web and no routing at all.

by
EE Employee

Hi @castlemaster 

Could I get you to disconnect the device from the external antenna and try it for 24hours so we can rule out the antenna causing your issues?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

OK i've just removed external antena (which is a shame as I'm now down to 1 or 0 bars 😞 ) and will leave it until it next exhibits same issue.

by
EE Employee

Hi @castlemaster

Try it for 24hours just to see if the antenna is causing any issues.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.