by Terellion
Explorer

4GEE 200Gb Pay monthly IPv6 or CGNAT

Hi All, I was hoping to get some advice. I was about to push the button and get a 4GEE 200GB pay monthly with router service but I had a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer. Do customers on that package get to use IPv6 or CGNAT? I ask because I need the ability to use IoT devices such as smartthings, cctv cams, nest thermostat, nest CO2 monitor to name but a few but I am more than aware CGNAT ruins everything for everyone. I've read a few posts where it appears some new customers are finding themselves with IPV6 but see other posts where IPV4 and CGNAT is still being used. CGNAT is of zero use to me so I just wanted to get something definitive before I buy 😄 Can anyone help? Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4GEE 200Gb Pay monthly IPv6 or CGNAT

EE mobile network does use Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net by unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by martineecom Investigator
Investigator

I think you are going to need either a SIM card with a fixed public IP or use a router that is capable of generating a fixed public.  Add in the need for a SIM that has over 200MB and this is quite rare.  A company called Pinnacom Limited do a VC4GR router that can ofer a fixed public IP and routing services with a totally unlimited EE data SIM.  It is a system used by companies and broadcasters and would solve your problem, but may prove to be too expensive.  Pinnacom are on the web.  The SIM is an M2M data only SIM and is genuinely unlimited data use.

by Terellion
Explorer

Thanks for the reply guys.  Its a shame a dynamic IP on ipv6 would do the job.  I did look at fixed IP SIM's and I could make something work.  The data allowance doesnt need to be really high to get the systems I need working.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@martineecom:

1. SIMs don't have public IPs of themselves. It's the network that issues public IPs..
  2. Nor do routers.
  3. EE don't do unlimited data SIMs.

It could well be that this firm has its own networks with its own SIMs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by martineecom Investigator
Investigator

Hi XRaySpex,

Sorry but Pinnacom DO supply a router that delivers a fixed public IPV4 address to the end user - and Pinnacom are an ISP that makes this happen through an EE SIM..  

And Pinnacom DO provide a totally unlimited EE Data SIM.  You can run terrabytes through it if you wish - provided you pass the credit check to pay the bill!

Give me a call on *************** to confirm.

Martin

[Please do not post personal data onto a public forum]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@martineecom  Pinnacom do events not personal connections.   It’s for large crowd events/corporate shows that will need a larger than normal data allowance.    ( that’s how there website says it anyway). And with you saying give me a call I’ll have to assume you work for pinnacom.   

The amount of data that this company can give is an agreement with pinnacom and EE and it’s not going to be cheap because it’s not for home use and not sold as such.    Especially if you’re saying if you pass the credit check.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@martineecom wrote:

Pinnacom DO supply a router that delivers a fixed public IPV4 address

Yes, but only by being an ISP. It's their ISP network that delivers a fixed public IP to the SIMs/routers. The SIMs/routers themselves receive these public IPs from the ISP.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.