by PVR Investigator
Investigator

4G mobile traffic to port forwarded device no longer working

Since EE moved to the 5G infrastructure, there is now a fundamental issue with 4G traffic to routers with port forwarding set up. In the example I was testing, a CCTV system behind a router which has a port forwarded (9090) is no longer reachable via a device on the EE 4G network. This works fine for O2 devices and non mobile broadband devices.

After speaking to tech support, it seems that this is caused by the new routing via the 5G infrastructure for 4G devices.

This is rather a fundamental problem if port forwarding is no longer supported by 4G EE, as it would affect a lot of users that use mobile devices. Any thoughts on how to get around this new issue?

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4G mobile traffic to port forwarded device no longer working

Hi @PVR 

Are you sure you are routing via the 5G network? Have you tried connecting via a VPN?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @PVR,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm not aware of any changes to the way 4G devices on EE communicate with other connected devices.

Is the app you are using to access your CCTV system IPv6 compatible? (EE 4GEE is IPv6 enabled)

Thanks

James

by PVR Investigator
Investigator

Hi both,

Just a bit more detail on the analysis that I have done so far. The comment from the 5G network routing used for 4G came from the Tech Support on EE (we have a business contract).

Further testing:

- On a site which has a ring.com device installed, on a EE phone (any SIM, any phone handset), it takes now 30+ seconds to get an image on the app. Before it was 3 - 4 seconds.

- We manufacture devices that customers buy and users connect to that via a VPN tunnel (devices are on their local network, wherever in the world). This connection using EE handsets is now taking 5 seconds to get a connection versus the 1 second it used to take.

before.

- Signal strength on known locations on EE handheld devices has reduced by at least 20 - 30%. When 5G was introduced, 4G signal now disappears on known locations and drops down to 3G. 

In the case of the CCTV instance at a customer site, no changes to the environment had been made and this installation has been live for about 4 years. Only recently, the connections via EE handsets no longer work (from anywhere).

Hope that explains the analysis I have done so far.

Are there any known ports that still work with the EE 4G network (in the mobile routing area) ?

by

Hi @PVR,

The rollout of 5G shouldn't have a negative impact on your 4G service.

I would recommend contacting your Customer Care Team so they can look into the signal strength in the areas where you have noticed a change.

For the delays in connecting to ring devices, I would check the quality of the WiFi signal in the individual properties and contact ring support.

The only change I think could have impacted your CCTV service would be the move to IPv6 (some systems only support IPv4) which happened some time ago.

There are a number of community users with experience in using CCTV systems over 4G so hopefully they can offer some further ideas.

Thanks

James

by PVR Investigator
Investigator

Hi James,

Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly enough on my example of the ring.com devices I was using for testing (multi sites by the way).

Using an O2 SIM in the phone gave a response of 2 seconds for a connection, whilst with the EE SIM in the same phone would give the 10+ seconds response from the devices. Using different phones had the same result, from different locations so the signal strength does not come into this test. The 4G speedtest shows 86 Mb/s, which is excellent at that location of testing.

EE Tech support did state that the routing over the 5G network for 4G traffic could have side effects, and the port forwarding seems to be one of them. Assuming that this person is correct, and the evidence point to changes to the 4G network in general with regards to quality, the new routing platforms is causing issues.

You mention the use of IPV6, what exactly do you mean with that as the server in question is on a IPV4 network? Did the move to IPV6 result in IPV4 traffic issues?

The tech support guy also mentioned when I explained to him that the issues did not exist on an O2 phone, that even if I was to switch to the O2 network that it would only be a matter of time that the same issue would appear there once they start using 5G routing.

I can implement all sorts of technical solutions to try to get around this, VPN tunnels or DDNS solutions, but as it is at the moment only affecting the EE network attached handsets, I am not sure I want to re-architect an entire organisation's network.

But as you say, if any other user can recommend a solution which will work on EE that would be great, or even port numbers that still can be forwarded on traffic through the EE mobile network.

by

Hi @PVR,

I mentioned IPv6 because after the switch over, some users reported issues with some CCTV apps. Some of these issues were resolved by software updates from the manufacturers, which added support for IPv6 networks.

I'm not aware of the routing issues that your contact in tech support mentioned, but they are the experts and may have more information than myself.

It's an odd problem and not something I experience when connecting to any of my Smart Home products over 4GEE.

Thanks

James

by PVR Investigator
Investigator

To be fair James, the technology used for the smart devices is very different as they use AWS for their communications, so there is no port forwarding in the equation.

The smart devices that we manufacture have a slower connection now on the EE network for our customers and take longer to respond, so we know there is a routing change on the EE 4G network.

by

Hi @PVR,

I would continue to engage with your technical support team to see if they can find a solution for you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@PVR wrote:

I was testing, a CCTV system behind a router which has a port forwarded (9090) is no longer reachable via a device on the EE 4G network.

Is the router you are trying to reach a mobile router or a fixed home BB router? 4G should not affect reaching a fixed BB router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by PVR Investigator
Investigator

Yes, it is a BB router that has been in place and working for 3 years +. 

It still is working for non EE handsets as well. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It might be an EE IPv6 issue. Recently EE introduced IPv6 on its mobile network, but it doesn't fall-back to IPv4 nicely. Can you change the Profile/APN on your EE devices to APN Protocol = IPv4 only?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by PVR Investigator
Investigator

Interesting point, but how would I be able to force IPV4 only when we talk about standard EE phones?

The same issue exist when using a network connection that is connected to the internet via a 4GEE device, routing traffic via a ZEN connection works fine, but as soon as you route over the 4GEE device the routing breaks as well.

by PVR Investigator
Investigator

Just to add another snippet of info not relating to this problem, but to the data routing on the EE network.

EE mobile handsets no longer receive the RSA Secure-ID DUO push notifications which is used to authenticate users "on the road" to the company's firewall.

This EE routing issue has some serious impact.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.