by BroPyp
Explorer

4G hotspot/tethering not letting me play online games

EE seems to be the only network I've tried that literally blocks every single incoming UDP port. I can download games via Steam and even play singleplayer games on Steam as well.

However, the minute I try to join an online multiplayer game, it does not work at all. I can't even get round this by connecting to a VPN via my laptop (the device im tethering my mobile data to) because EE mobile data also doesn't let me join a VPN via a client on my PC.

Before the usual "it must be the game provider because EE doesnt block anything" response, I have tried Vodafone tethering which works fine, also Virgin mobile and of course just for sanity, my own Virgin Media home broadband which also works.

There is a severely limiting firewall/block that EE have in place for some reason, which goes against their claim that mobile broadband can support gaming (on the ad page for their 4GEE Wifi Mini). It simply doesn't work and I think I've raised two complaints so far that have been closed without my permission. I really want this to work as it would be perfect since I'm going on a business trip later this month. It would be good to have something to pass the time.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4G hotspot/tethering not letting me play online games

Hi @BroPyp 

EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade Nat (CGNAT), this means you don't get your own IP address but share it with other users. This is the reason you cannot connect. This has always been the case with EE, although I'm not sure about their new 5G network.  It should work is you are connected via a VPN but if you are connected via another country IP, then that could be an issue. 

You could try checking your connection is using IPv4 rather than 6, also if you tether to your phone use a VPN on your phone. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by BroPyp
Explorer

I never had to do this before though. USB tethering worked for me about a month ago, no problems at all nor did I need to connect to a VPN. If what you are saying is true, then EE are falsely advertising their mobile broadband because they say you can game online with it (assuming mobile 4G uses the same network as mobile data)

Connecting to a VPN via my phone also doesn't work as even when connected to said VPN, I still have the same external IP address when I type "what is my ip" into Google on the laptop I'm tethering with.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BroPyp,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I've send you a private message.

James

by Dave182

We are having the same issue, did ee solved the problem?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.