by BroPyp
Explorer

4G hotspot/tethering not letting me play online games

EE seems to be the only network I've tried that literally blocks every single incoming UDP port. I can download games via Steam and even play singleplayer games on Steam as well.

However, the minute I try to join an online multiplayer game, it does not work at all. I can't even get round this by connecting to a VPN via my laptop (the device im tethering my mobile data to) because EE mobile data also doesn't let me join a VPN via a client on my PC.

Before the usual "it must be the game provider because EE doesnt block anything" response, I have tried Vodafone tethering which works fine, also Virgin mobile and of course just for sanity, my own Virgin Media home broadband which also works.

There is a severely limiting firewall/block that EE have in place for some reason, which goes against their claim that mobile broadband can support gaming (on the ad page for their 4GEE Wifi Mini). It simply doesn't work and I think I've raised two complaints so far that have been closed without my permission. I really want this to work as it would be perfect since I'm going on a business trip later this month. It would be good to have something to pass the time.

17 REPLIES 17
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4G hotspot/tethering not letting me play online games

Hi @BroPyp 

EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade Nat (CGNAT), this means you don't get your own IP address but share it with other users. This is the reason you cannot connect. This has always been the case with EE, although I'm not sure about their new 5G network.  It should work is you are connected via a VPN but if you are connected via another country IP, then that could be an issue. 

You could try checking your connection is using IPv4 rather than 6, also if you tether to your phone use a VPN on your phone. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by BroPyp
Explorer

I never had to do this before though. USB tethering worked for me about a month ago, no problems at all nor did I need to connect to a VPN. If what you are saying is true, then EE are falsely advertising their mobile broadband because they say you can game online with it (assuming mobile 4G uses the same network as mobile data)

Connecting to a VPN via my phone also doesn't work as even when connected to said VPN, I still have the same external IP address when I type "what is my ip" into Google on the laptop I'm tethering with.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BroPyp,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I've send you a private message.

James

by Dave182

We are having the same issue, did ee solved the problem?

by Speededd Investigator
Investigator

Could you help me too please?

i have an iPhone 8 with unlimited monthly payment plan, everything worked fine on day one but now my fire stick/ now tv stick not my TV will connect to the hotspots tethered option, 

I am using the correct password (triple checked), restarted all devices, ensured all settings are correct (as when it worked originally) I can only presume it’s the fair useage causing my problem though I’ve only used 65gb apparently. I have googled it looked on the community here but nothing is directing me to a solution. I have only had the EE plan less than a month and tried it recently with no issues but now... nothing? Please help or should I contact EE customer service? Will they be able to solve this. 

thanks in advance 

by

Good Morning @Speededd

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Are you able to log onto www.bbc.co.uk?

Are you using Bluetooth or your personal Hotspot?

Have you tried moving closer to the device you wish to connect to?

Are you able to connect to any other devices?

Katie 🙂

by Speededd Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie,

no I cannot connect to bbc or any other device on hotspot tethering via mobile hotspot nor Bluetooth method?

though i could initially???

i could not get much closer to be honest as I’m at least a foot away from it?

as I’ve said initially connected to fire stick and now tv and other phones but now nothing??!?!?

by

Thanks for confirming this @Speededd

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Katie 🙂

Highlighted
by notears

I am also having this problem, and it seems that fixes are being dealt with via private messages?

I am attempting to play a steam game remotely (using steam remote play).

I am tethering my phone to my laptop to do this.

On regular Wifi (away from home, and also slow) it works ok, however when using my mobile data the game starts but fails to establish a connection.

Looking through other similar posts i have tried;

Changing content restrictions to strict, then back to off (was always originally set to off)

Using APN info set to IPv4 only

Restarting both devices

Banging my head against the wall.

however none of these worked, and i still get the failed to connect message.

Could this be related to how EE assigns IP addresses? (CGNAT) - If i don't have a unique IP then the steam server will not be able to send the stream data to me.

Is this the issue? is there anything i can do about it?

This is important and i don't think i'll be staying with EE if this can't be resolved?

by Ragkirk
Visitor

I have the same issue, moved to EE for wi-fi calling, tested the features I need on a SIM I already have with 5GB of data, and everything I need to use works. New SIM arrives everything worked for a week, now tethering mostly blocked. I have a 100 GB month and I can't use it.

I've checked IP 151.101.62.110 blocked on tethering (pings ok from phone, works fine on tethering on my other EE SIM)

PS4 remote play blocked on tethering.....(checked on my other EE SIM works ok)

I have 2 SIM contracts, I've checked my other SIM on tethering and the above work ok, but that SIM only has 5 GB data. Why are they blocked on my SIM with 100GB ? 

by

Hi @notears and @Ragkirk 

I've sent you both a private message to get you some help.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

by JamesButlin

Hi, 

Same problem as above. Waiting for my broadband to get installed and using my Google Pixel 3 with EE SIM tethered in the interim. Able to access most of the internet and get great 4G speeds but select services (most importantly to me; Destiny 2 & Discord's Voice Chat) don't seem to work at all. I suspect it's due to their UDP/TCP port requirements.

Please advise? I get 60gb data a month with you guys and I had no idea I'd be locked out of using certain services via tethering? 

by

Hi @JamesButlin,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

We don't have any restrictions on playing games online when tethered to your phone.

Have you tried contacting the game developer to see if there are any settings you need to change when using a mobile data connection?

Thanks

James

by ArronCook

Having the same problem. Can I have one of these "private messages" that fixes things please?

by bdanny99 Investigator
Investigator

yall.jpg

I've got the same problem, Usage Control are set to full access.

by bdanny99 Investigator
Investigator

OK, so it seems it randomly does connect once every 5 tries or so.

by

Hi and welcome to the community, @ArronCook and @bdanny99

Is it working any better this morning?

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.