by andrewjeffs Investigator
Investigator

4G gaming in a fringe area

I live in a supposed 4G EE fringe area.(ex320sw).

I have EE mobile phones,and find i can get 4G signal ok.

We do not have fibre in this area,so i have been looking at 4G routers,so he can play online.

I have been looking at the EE 100GB 4G router package,but the EE compatibility test says we are on the limit of getting a signal.As i say,i get 4G connection on my mobile phones,and was considering buying a external aerial to boost reception.

Do you guys think i am wasting my time?

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4G gaming in a fringe area

@andrewjeffs   If you get it on your phone ok indoors then you’ll be fine especially if you also get a external antenna. 

Investigator

just for peoples future reference.

I went into the EE shop in town,and purchased the 100gig 4g router package.

Staff were not sure if it would work for gaming,but i decided to take a  a chance.

Our standard broadband round here is 5-6gig maximum with a minimum of 60 ping.

with the 4g connected i am able to achieve 4 bar signal strength,with 45-62 gig with a ping of 25-29.Without a external aerial.

So it look like its going to be a gamble that pays off..hopefully.

Will report back after a few days play .

by
EE Community Support Team

Sounds great @andrewjeffs.

Keep us updated with your progress 🙂

Jon

Investigator

I tried last night to play online on my own PC last night which is situated downstairs from the router. Unfortunatly while the ping was low,the game was to glitchy with lag spikes to be playable.Suprised ,seeing as i am directly below my sons bedroom.

Investigator

I have got the 4g router so my son can play games in his bedroom.As i said its working fine with the router in his room for him.Just not quite good enough to connect lag free,from down stairs.

by

Hi @andrewjeffs.

Are you able to move the position of the router?

Are there any other devices connected at the time he's playing his game?

Jon

Investigator

router could be placed anywhere in house,but we are getting a full strength signal from my sons bedroom.Only 1 person will be connected to the router at a time.As i said..when i connected to the router to try a online game downstairs...I got low ping,but to many bad packets,causing the game to glitch..

by

I see @andrewjeffs

Thanks for letting us know.

If you speak to our Tech Gurus on 150 they will be able to get this looked into for you.

Leanne 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.