by mattz00r Investigator
Investigator

4G extremely slow when downloading via personal hotspot

Hi Guys,

So I have just finished my old phone contract (iPhone 7) which had 8gb data blah blah, I used to use it as a personal hotspot at home because my home wifi is so bad and I would play video games online via my PC (Fifa, shooters etc.) and was able to get a steady ping and when downloading could reach very nice speeds that I just couldn't get on my home wifi.  

Cutting to the chase, I recently upgraded to an iPhone XS and upgraded my sim to 100gb data per month, with the idea that this will allow me to stream trouble free on netflix, download updates quickly etc.  However, I now cannot connect to any online servers when using my phone as a personal hotspot, but I can still browse the web, facebook etc.  

The other issue is when I start downloading, it will reach speeds of up to 11mb/s on Steam before suddenly shooting right down until I'm at 85/100kb/s download??  This happens within maybe 5 mins of starting the download.  

I find it odd that I have only had this issue since changing phone and updating to more data.  Is it an iPhone problem or an EE data throttle?

I hope I have made sense!!!  Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Matt.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4G extremely slow when downloading via personal hotspot

@mattz00r wrote:

I now cannot connect to any online servers when using my phone as a personal hotspot

Can you connect to your online servers when using the phone alone?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mattz00r

Welcome to the community. 

Have you tried disconnecting the hotspot connection and re-setting it up? Do you get any error messages?

Chris

by mattz00r Investigator
Investigator

I only connect to servers when using the phone as a personal hotspot to my PC.  This is the same with multiple game platforms including Origin and Steam.  

by mattz00r Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris, 

I have tried resetting the phone, forgetting the wifi network on my PC, changing the password etc. 

It's been like it for the last couple of months since I got the phone in June.

It's just odd that I never had the problems on my old phone and contract?  

by
EE Community Support Team

OK thanks for confirming, @mattz00r.

Our Tech Gurus will be able to help you with this. You can find their contact details on our get in touch page.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It could be Switching Content Lock OFF or ON . It is switched on on new contracts/upgrades & seems to affect social & gaming sites.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mattz00r Investigator
Investigator

I just checked on my EE, was already on Full Access.  I switched to strict and back to full access incase it was bugged or something and will try again later but I'm guessing if it was already full access that would be that. 

I've never had any issues accessing websites, social media etc.  It is literally just when I try to connect to a game server via personal hotspot that it won't connect.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions