by Dougies Investigator
Investigator

4G broadband router

95% of the time my 4G router works for my broadband. However it does cut out and I have to power on / off to reconnect which does work. Would an external booster help to avoid the cut outs and if so which one? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Dougies Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: 4G broadband router

As my contract was nearing the end I got the new Huawei 4G router on Tuesday. Seems to pick up signal better and has not dropped out once which would seem to suggest that it was a sleep issue with the old router.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dougies 

Are these cut outs when your router is in sleep mode?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Dougies Investigator
Investigator

You will quickly realise I am not particularly tech minded - does it go into sleep mode and if so can it be stopped from doing this?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dougies 

By sleep mode I mean when it's inactive and not in use. Do you find after these periods you have the cut out problem? 

Or does it happen randomly when it's in use?

I'm trying to establish when it cuts out. 

Do you have the white box modem or yellow one? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by Dougies Investigator
Investigator

It's the white box and seems to fail when not in use. I moved the router up the wall and seemed to get a slightly better signal and it seemed to work more reliably, only failing once a week.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dougies 

You have the good router. You can get an areal for that box which will improve performance. Give EE a call tomorrow about it. 

As for the cut out, this is as I assumed when the box sleeps (it's not in use). It's a common problem which I don't believe EE has fixed, because you cannot disable this mode from the settings menu.

Thanks 

by Dougies Investigator
Investigator

My issue now is that I don't know if my problem is due to the sleep issue (doesn't seem to automatically start up again) or whether the signal drops to 3G and cuts out? A bit annoyed as I spoke to EE earlier in the year and they stated I probably didn't have enough signal and shouldn't have been sold the router...

I'll enquire about the aerial tomorrow.

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dougies 

It's definitely the sleep issue which causes the router to stop. It used to have the same/similar firmware as the yellow mobile routers, which makes sense in those as they are powered by battery. 

The aerial will improve your signal. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks

by Dougies Investigator
Investigator
Solution

As my contract was nearing the end I got the new Huawei 4G router on Tuesday. Seems to pick up signal better and has not dropped out once which would seem to suggest that it was a sleep issue with the old router.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.