by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

4G and Synology Diskstation VPN issue

I've had a VPN server setup on my Synology DiskStation for a couple of years now, and on occassion needed to connect to home network via VPN setting on iPhone - which worked fine via EE when out and about. All was OK up until about a month ago and I now find I cannot connect to my home VPN server via my iPhone when connected to EE 4G mobile data - I get the following error:

"The L2TP-VPN server did not respond. Try reconnecting... verifty settings and contact your Administrator"

Oddly, when I'm connected to friends, family and public WiFi I can connect to the VPN just fine - so the VPN server itself is not at fault.

Even when on EE mobile data I can connect to the web console of the Synology, so name resolution seems functional (I've also tried to connect to VPN via IP address and that failed too). When viewing the connection logs, I can see there is no connection attempt to verify credentials at all when on EE mobile data leading me to believe the network is blocking something somewhere.

Has anyone a similar problem? As stated, about a month ago all was OK, as I was testing ad-blocking via a pihole server setup internally at home, (which I could connect to once I connected to the home VPN).

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: 4G and Synology Diskstation VPN issue

Good Evening @groovyf

Thanks for coming to the community for help.

Could you check your content lock settings as below:

To do this go into your My EE account online > Menu > Manage Device

What do your data content controls show as?

Speak soon, Leanne 🙂

Highlighted
by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Hi leanne,

I did actually check the Content Lock settings via the website, and it's showing as "Full Access".

Via the EE app on the phone, the Content Lock is showing as "Off"

I setup the VPN settings on my girlfriend's (also on EE) iPhone X and also got the same connection error (checked Content Lock and also set to Full Access).

It's a bit of a puzzler why when using mobile data it's stopped connecting.

I'm in work and my iPhone connected to WiFi here and VPN connects correctly also.

by

Hi @groovyf

Thanks for coming back to me.

In this case, I would suggest giving us a call so our technical support team can get this looked into further.

Let me know how you get on.

Leanne.

by benbttech

I'm curious, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the same issue now.

by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Nope, sadly not. I had a live chat tech support session and they even put my queries up to level 2, but basically they're saying it's nothing they can help with as all other 4G functions/access are OK... even though it *used* to work just a few months ago.

by PinnPoinnt
Visitor

I have exact same issue too.

My (and my families) VPN connection through to my home Synology VPN server worked fine through EE up until a couple of months ago.

Our L2TP/IPSEC VPN connection still works fine through any WiFi internet connection. When abroad connected to 4G in France, Belgium, Netherlands through the EE SIM it all works and connects fine.

Back in the UK, on the EE network, the VPN connection is back to failing to make it through at all. I have placed a work Vodafone SIM in the same phone and connected to Vodafone 4G. And, that works! It connects straight through to my VPN. Pop the EE SIM back in, and the VPN connection fails again.

So, I do believe EE has made a change recently that they are unaware of that at least affects L2TP/IPSEC VPN connections across their 4G network.

Today I phone-called through to EE tech support. The answer was "we'll get back to you".

Is there something about VPN that EE aren't telling us?

Did anyone arrive at a solution?

I'll post back here if I gain an answer to this issue.

by LeClerk

I also had this issue .. however, a workaround for me was to use a public VPN (such as ExpressVPN) first and THEN connect the Synology VPN 'inside' that one. 

It doesn't slow the Synology VPN that much and seems pretty reliable even though all the traffic is going through two VPNs.

Hope this helps.

M.

by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Slightly-related I suspect... I'm also not able to connect to my Synology using the DS Cloud app on my phone either - it only works on WiFi, not when connected to 4G.

I doubt these issues will ever be fixed!

by

Good Evening @groovyf

I am really sorry to hear this is still on going for you. 

Have you been back in touch with technical care since discovering you're not able to connect to your Synology?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for checking-in!
I’ve not been in touch with tech support again as this is really a third-line support issue - definitely network related with certain ports being restricted within the EE network.

There’s another user who posted about SSH not working when on 4G either.

by

Morning @groovyf

Thanks for coming back to us.

If you get in touch with our Tech Gurus they will be able to get this looked into further for you.

Leanne 🙂

by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Update on this:

A few days ago I upgraded iOS to 13.2 and upon first reboot post-upgrade I was notified about carrier settings being updated. Another reboot required.

After this reboot, I found I was able to connect to my VPN over EE 4G data. Success, I thought!  I disconnected the VPN on the iPhone and tried to reconnect but no luck - I was back to the original issue with not being able to connect.

Today, I had an online chat with tech support who took some details and after a while I got a text stating some of my network settings had been updated. Another reboot required!

After this reboot, I found the VPN once again connected successfully to my Synology at home. I disconnected and attempted to reconnect... sadly this didn't work again.

On both occasions, new carrier settings fixed things but trying to reconnect to VPN after the initial successful one failed - it's as though the back-end systems detect a successful VPN connection, then block it from happening again.

Hoping for a call back in a day or two...

by

Hi there @groovyf

Thanks for keeping us updated, I am sorry to hear this is ongoing for you.

Let us know how you get on after the call.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.