by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

4G Speed Boost

I've paid for the Speed Boost this month. How can I tell if I am benefiting from this? Is this 4G+? Anyone know if the Huawei P20 Pro has the 4G+ indicator? Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Re: 4G Speed Boost

My friend in Manchester that I alluded to on the other thread was getting several hundred mbps on the P20 Pro!

However, performance will vary depending on radio conditions, load etc. I'd say EE is quite legitimate in not showing the 4G+ symbol because it could cause quite a lot of confusion (although not showing it also does). It could change customer experience though, such as expecting higher performance when 4G+ is shown when this is most definitely not always the case. 

6 REPLIES 6
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

4G+ is a marketing term for use of multiple 4G carriers aggregated together. This can be used on all plans but the overall throughout attainable is limited on some plans. The speed boost will mean you can get higher speeds on 4G and '4G+' sites which you may notice on downloads, very high resolution video streaming and so on.

EE sold devices broadly do not show the 4G+ icon no.

Established Contributor

@Peter_C wrote:

4G+ is a marketing term for use of multiple 4G carriers aggregated together. This can be used on all plans but the overall throughout attainable is limited on some plans. The speed boost will mean you can get higher speeds on 4G and '4G+' sites which you may notice on downloads, very high resolution video streaming and so on.

EE sold devices broadly do not show the 4G+ icon no.

My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S6 which showed the 4G+ symbol at my current location; I could get download speeds in excess of 80Mbps. Now on my P20 Pro, I see no 4G+ symbol and my download speed is around 50Mbps. This is disappointing that EE didn't inform me that they don't support high speed data on the P20 Pro. More to the point, they didn't remind me of this when I took the Speed Boost add on 😟

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @kurtph1969

EE don't manufacture the device you use, they just provide the carrier capacity. You are free to use your sim in any device. 

The different radio/chip used in the devices impacts the access the network. The reported network speed is as follows: 

• The P20 ProHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps
  • Galaxy S6HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat6 300/50 Mbps

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

My friend in Manchester that I alluded to on the other thread was getting several hundred mbps on the P20 Pro!

However, performance will vary depending on radio conditions, load etc. I'd say EE is quite legitimate in not showing the 4G+ symbol because it could cause quite a lot of confusion (although not showing it also does). It could change customer experience though, such as expecting higher performance when 4G+ is shown when this is most definitely not always the case. 

Established Contributor

@Northerner wrote:

Hi @kurtph1969

EE don't manufacture the device you use, they just provide the carrier capacity. You are free to use your Hisim in any device. 

The different radio/chip used in the devices impacts the access the network. The reported network speed is as follows: 

• The P20 ProHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (3CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps
  • Galaxy S6HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat6 300/50 Mbps

Thanks, 

Hi Northerner,

Comments noted and appreciated. Ultimately, I'll just have to wait and see what kind of speeds I get when I'm in an known high speed coverage area...

Established Contributor

I think it's fair to say that my speed boost its working 😁

Screenshot_20181006-182847.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.