by rooflessdriver Investigator
Investigator

4G Saturation

I have raised Network Status calls several times over the last week as my Iphone XS cannot connect to data services whilst at work.

Every time the report comes back with no issues, even though I cant even load the MY EE app or run Speedtest connection tests.

I realised this morning that its fine between 7:30 & 8:30 when I first get in the office, but then it just dies.

Talking with a few other people, on EE (or Virgin) it appears I'm not the only one.

Then one of the guys said thats been going on for a couple of weeks and he switches 4G off, and its fine.

Surprise Surprise, switch to 3G only and internet access again.

So it seems like there is 4G network saturation around Oxford Street, London.

Maybe its Xmas shoppers?!

4 REPLIES 4
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: 4G Saturation

I was testing around Oxford Street a few days ago and, while the networks were all clearly under very substantial load, their 4G was all (mostly) satisfactory. Considering the massively disproportionate amount of capacity on 4G compared to 3G, I am somewhat surprised that 3G works better, but if EE's customer base in the area was almost 100% on 4G, I can perhaps see such a situation arising.

Could you provide a precise location or locations that you are having 4G issues so I can look into the sites and the data I collected with a bit more granularity. I'm sure the EE staff will also be able to look into it from their end a bit.

Investigator

yesterday lunchtime I was outside Barclays Bank on Great Portland St trying to activate online banking, via the cash point, but couldn’t get the Barclays App to load.

The rest of the time I’m in Berner St, inside or outside. It’s fine first thing in the morning but gets worse after 9am.

A colleague is also on EE with the same issue & another is on Virgin mobile.

we all switch off 4G and data works fine.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The three sites that serve those locations I have down as being fairly standard B3+B7 sites. Some in the surroundings, strangely, have much higher capacity configurations. I suspect it will be something EE is looking to ameliorate as a matter of urgency but in prime locations, site access can be challenging as site landowners know how valuable the location is and can therefore impose terms that can prove challenging to networks.

Investigator

We can but hope. 

I have reported online several times and called today.

after turning mobile data off & on and asked to go to bbc.co.uk they closed the call saying it was working. 

5mins later, spinning icon....

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.