by Macman4789 Contributor
Contributor

4G+ Max speeds on SIM Only?

Hi,

I have recently taken out a SIM only deal on my wife's account as an additional line and have got a new number etc. When I took out the SIM only contract, I was told that since EE have recently changed their tariffs in February (I think), all SIM only contracts are essential contracts and consequently 4G speeds are upto 60mb. I also got told I could buy an add on for an extra 2 pounds a month to get 4G+ Max speeds.

However today I have ran a speed test and got over 90mb down and 30mb up...? I'm not complaining but wondered if anyone else has found this?

Also, at the end of this 12 month contract on my wife's account, would I be able to keep my number if I decided to take out my own EE contract?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: 4G+ Max speeds on SIM Only?

Looks like you are getting the faster 4G+ speeds. Perhaps you got a Max plan SIM just before they were withdrawn. If not, count yourself lucky.

You could call EE with both of you present to transfer your SIM-Only contract to your own name. You would need to pass a credit check. Then, when the SIM-Only contract term is up you could upgrade to a handset contract, keeping your no. You can certainly do this 45 days before the end of contract term & with a SIM-Only contract you could even do this after 3 months into the contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Speedtests are fickle.

You could text GO FASTER to 150 to get the full 4G speeds at £2 / month - see 4G Go Faster add-on .

To take over your wife's no. you with need to port it out to another network's PAYG & then back to your EE SIM. EE don't transfer nos. from 1 contract to another.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Macman4789 Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that detailed reply @XRaySpeX

Do you or anyone else know why I'm having 90+mb down speeds on an 'essential sim only plan'? I would like the fastest speeds possible and wanted the 4G+ speeds but without standing next to someone with a 'max' plan and running the same speed test I'm not sure whether I'm being speed capped or not? Would someone with a max plan get higher than 90+mb?

Also, the number that I have is my own number but I am a named person on my wife's account. At the end of this SIM only deal would I still have to port the number over to another PAY & G SIM and then port back to EE if I take out my own contract?

Thank you again

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Looks like you are getting the faster 4G+ speeds. Perhaps you got a Max plan SIM just before they were withdrawn. If not, count yourself lucky.

You could call EE with both of you present to transfer your SIM-Only contract to your own name. You would need to pass a credit check. Then, when the SIM-Only contract term is up you could upgrade to a handset contract, keeping your no. You can certainly do this 45 days before the end of contract term & with a SIM-Only contract you could even do this after 3 months into the contract.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.