by Chris-highlands Contributor
Contributor

4G EE Router on the 800MHz 4G only network

We now have a good EE 4G signal here, but only on the 800MHz 4G band - so the phone must be set to use 4G for Voice & Data calls or we get nothing. There is no 3G or 2G etc

I have purchased the 4GEE Router from EE - but it shows no signal. The iphone at the same location gets 3 out of 4 bars.  The sim card supplied with the router works fine in the iPhone.

Is there a setting withing the Router that needs to be changed?  I've already switched the connection setting  to 4G only - but that has not helped.  Or might I need the external antennae?

I will try the router in another location soon to check it works on other frequencies, and also closer to this mast.

Meantime any advice welcome before I return it under the 14 day rule...!

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4G EE Router on the 800MHz 4G only network

Hi @Chris-highlands

If your iPhone sim picks up the frequency then try your iPhone sim in the router, if it doesn't work then but maybe the router so change its location. The router will always use the strongest signal. 

Which router do you have?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Contributor

Hi,

Thank sfor the reply.

I'll try that - but the router sim works fine in the phone - when phone is in same location.

It is the new EE 4G Router - a flat white box  - supposed to be the best of the EE 4G routers...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Chris-highlands

I would suggest speaking to our technical support team so they can look into this further for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Potentially the router is not being authorised onto 800MHz because it doeesn't support VoLTE (as it's not a phone). However, that would be a rather polarising decision for EE to make...

Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thank s for that - I also think that is the issue. My iPhone is working fine- i have 3 different pay montly sim cards that all work in the iPhone (when set to VoLTE) but don't work in an iPad or this new Router

If that is the case it is indeed odd - as EE are rolling out 4G 800MHz to rural areas, and then promoting the 4G EE Router as a solution to those in rural areas stuck on 512k Broadband from lovely BT (EE's owner of course..)

I'm hoping to here direct from someone in the know at EE..

by

Hi @Chris-highlands,

Your router should support 800MHz.

Have you been able to get in touch with technical support so they can run through some diagnostics with you?

Thanks

James

Contributor

Thanks.

Yes - I have been in touch with EE - now awaiting a call back from the 'Level 2 team" to help sort it out.

The router works fine down the road with a signal from a 'normal' mast, but 250m from the 4G 800MHz mast that covers my house it simply won't connect - even though the phone has a full EE signal..

Contributor

I've now found my neighbour bought exactly the same router and had the same problem - worked elsewhere, but not on the signal from our mast - so they returned the router..

by

Morning @Chris-highlands

Let us know how you get on after speaking to the technical support team.

Thanks. Leanne.

Contributor

I certainly will - but so far no-one from EE has called to discuss my 'Level 2' issue.

From what I read it is all to do with connecting to the 4GEE Band 20 800MHz  - which my phone can do, but my iPad & this new EE Home Router can't.  It seems I would be better to by a cheap second iPhone6s - chuck the new sim card from the Router in that and use it as a WiFi hotspot.  That would certainly work (I tried it) but makes the EE Router a rather pointless brick.

Come on EE - please help!

by
EE Employee

Hi @Chris-highlands

I have sent you a private message on here, so I can get some details from you.

Thanks,

Lee

Contributor

So after a long chat with various EE support people it appears I have the answer.

Despite all the Hype from EE about extending 4G coverage to rural areas with the roll-out of the 800MHz network, and the promotion of the 4G EE Home Router as the ideal solution for home broadband in rural areas (even promoting the external antennae for this purpose) the fact is it dos not work.

The EE Home Router does not work on the 800MHz only 4G network. You can only use phones that offer 4G calling (VoLTE) - and as the Router can't do that it won't work. The logic behind this is bizarre. The Router can see the network, but EE policy (rather than the techology) prevent it from connecting. 

To get home WiFi I can put the sim from the router in an iPhone and use that to create a personal hotspot, but I can't use the device that EE supply to do the same thing.

So a solution to my query, but not the one I wanted or one that makes any sense..

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.