by
EE Community Support Team

4G Calling on the EE Network

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone!

Our 4G Calling service, also known as VoLTE has now been fully rolled out across the UK on the EE Network.

I know we’ve had a few discussions on the forum about 4G Calling, so in this post we'll cover how it works, who can use the service and where it's available.

I'll also keep this post updated with any new information we have on the service and new phones as and when they become compatible.

Who can use 4G Calling?

It's available to EE Pay Monthly, Small Business and Large Business customers on a 4GEE Plan.

At the moment the service is not available on Pay as you go, T-Mobile or Orange.

Compatible Devices;

• iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7 or 7 Plus
  • Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, S7, S7 Edge, A3 & A5 (2017) - bought directly from EE
  • Google Pixel, Pixel XL
  • Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL - bought directly from EE
  • Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50
  • Sony Xperia XA, XZ, X, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z5 Compact - bought directly from EE
  • LG G5, G5 SE, G6, X Cam, K8 & K10 (2107) - bought directly from EE
  • HTC 10 - bought directly from EE
  • Huawei P10, P10 lite, P10 Plus & P8 lite (2017)

We're currently working with other manufacturers to keep introducing new devices to the service.

Where can you use 4G Calling?

Great news, you can use 4G Calling, as long as you have a compatible device wherever 4G is available.

How much does it cost?

There is no additional cost to use the 4G Calling service, it's a feature of our Pay Monthly and Small Business price plans. Calls and texts come out of your monthly allowances as normal, anything outside of this will be charged at the standard rates.

Benefits and features of 4G Calling

When you make or receive a call using 4G Calling, your phone will stay on 4G. This means you can use data at 4G speeds, even when you're on a call.

A big benefit is that your Internet won't slow down while on a call. On hands free and using Google Maps? Your maps will stay superfast.

Also, if you're using WiFi Calling, 4G Calling helps make the switch to our mobile network seamless.

If you call someone who is either using WiFi Calling or 4G Calling, don't worry if you hear the international dialling tone, this is will happen when using the service.

We're expanding our 4G network to cover 95% of UK landmass, along with 4G Calling this means you'll be able to make calls in more places than you could before. You can check 4G coverage on the Coverage Checker.

For any more information on 4G Calling and for how to set up 4G Calling please see the 4G Calling Help Page.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask below!

Smiley Happy

585 REPLIES
by
Contributor

Re: 4G Calling on the EE Network!

Looking forward to try and test it out, when I'm in Birmingham.

just one quick question, do you know when the coverage checker is going to be updated for 4G calling?

by
Community Hero

There's no need to update the coverage checker to show 4G calling as by approx. July, all EE 4G areas will have 4G calling/VoLTE so the coverage will identical anyway.
by
Scholarly Contributor

A bit confused/annoyed why this can't be available on pay as you go. Seems like pay as you go customers are again getting treat unfairly, like we did with WIFI Calling.

by
Contributor

So that would mean that 4G calling should be completed approx by July of this year? Also do you know when Tamworth area would get 4G calling?
by
Prodigious Contributor

Yes, the press release about 95% coverage states 4G calling will be UK wide by July
by
555 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The press release from the CEO also said the Note 3 would have wi-fi calling 4 years ago.. so do not hold your breath!

The volte service was poor in 2014, so lets hope they have updated the transponder software this time, so that all the volte

calls do not get cut off everytime you get a sync update on your handset!!

by
Prodigious Contributor

VoLTE service in 2014?

What was this?
by
Contributor

Do you know when it would be launched in the Tamworth (Staffordshire) area?
Also do you know if it would ever be launched on pay as you go?
by
Ace Contributor

@Glevai 

Since Tamworth already has 4g data coverage, 4g calling should be switched on by July - to be accessible by contract customers with the newer iPhones. 

EE contact details:
Call 150 from your EE mobile
Freephone 0800 079 8586
From abroad, dial +44 7953 966 250
by
Ace Contributor

@Karen_C

Hi Karen,

Have EE introduced VoLTE on LTE band 20 (800Mhz) yet?  Or is it just the usual band 3 (and 7)?

Thanks.

EE contact details:
Freephone 0800 079 8586
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ed3925

That I'm not to sure of.....I'll certainly find out for you!

Smiley Happy

by
Ace Contributor

Thanks @Karen_C Look forward to hearing more about it.

EE contact details:
Freephone 0800 079 8586
by
Established Contributor

I realise with the testing that it made sense to limit to just iOS, but with it not being launch until a national switch-on and a proper press launch, does anyone know when other handsets will be enabled for VoLTE?

I know the Nexus 5X and 6P got Wi-Fi calling in the March update, so I am hopeful that VoLTE support will be added OTA, which is good news for anyone with a device they didn't buy from EE.

But what about the other handsets where people have a SIM-free, unbranded, model? EE needs VoLTE to be used by as many people as possible, so limiting to EE-supplied phones clearly can't be a long term plan or policy.
by
Ace Contributor

@jonmorris

I know EE want everyone to be on a phone contract with them.... But, they need to remember that a lot of people don't want this. Services such as VoLTE and WiFi calling need to be available to as many customers as possible, including PAYG. 

Personally, I only buy SIM free unlocked phones. 

EE contact details:
Freephone 0800 079 8586
by
Established Contributor

Ed3925 wrote:

@jonmorris

I know EE want everyone to be on a phone contract with them.... But, they need to remember that a lot of people don't want this. Services such as VoLTE and WiFi calling need to be available to as many customers as possible, including PAYG. 

Personally, I only buy SIM free unlocked phones. 

Yes, but there's a conflict for EE here.

One, SIM only is becoming increasingly popular because people are happy to use a device for longer, may find a great phone from Amazon that isn't sold here (or offered by a specific network), or may be changing from another network - but still happy to sign up on a contract.

I am in the SIM only camp too. Sure, I get a lot of devices to review for short periods of time, but do also buy a few handsets. I now have the Nexus 6P, LG G5 and a Huawei P9. All of which EE sell, and will hopefully all support Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. None of them are EE branded (well Nexus devices aren't branded at all, hence why it got Wi-Fi calling support on every model).

Anyway, EE needs everyone to be using VoLTE and able to access 800 going forward, so it can work on its own plans to refarm 2G and 3G spectrum for 4G and look to one day turning off the legacy network technology.

I know this is years in the future, but even PAYG users will one day need VoLTE access, and from a marketing point of view it's not going to be acceptable for EE to start saying that one user can get 4G here, and another can't (because it's 800MHz LTE and the user isn't allowed access).

One way to support older devices will be to consider releasing an app for phones that won't natively support VoLTE, like Three's inTouch app. It's a clunky solution in some respects, but has the desired result and would mean that phones going back 2-3 years could then get 800 access.

Highlighted
by
Ace Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jonmorris

I once went into an EE store and they said.... I hope you don't want a SIM only.  I don't really understand this attitude.  Networks profit from SIM only deals!  I also think EE should do more to promote their PAYG offering.  People leave EE for companies like giffgaff because they don't realise that EE offer a similar service.  Sure, giffgaff is cheaper, but the mobile internet is dire. 

>Anyway, EE needs everyone to be using VoLTE and able to access 800 going forward, so it can work on its own plans to refarm 2G and 3G spectrum for 4G and look to one day turning off the legacy network technology.

Exactly.  They need VoLTE and LTE band 20 to improve coverage, so it's no good if it's only restricted to a few devices.  Otherwise, we will end up with a good coverage map for VoLTE users and a worse offering for everyone else. 

>One way to support older devices will be to consider releasing an app for phones that won't natively support VoLTE, like Three's inTouch app. 

You're right that it's a bit clunky, but it's a great idea.  Even pay as you go users with SIM-free unlocked phones can use the app to provision their device for VoLTE.  EE should consider something similar. 

I've tried Three in Touch to see whether I could get a better Three signal at home.  Unfortunately, the signal strength was still -125 dBm on band 20!

EE contact details:
Freephone 0800 079 8586
by
Established Contributor

>I once went into an EE store and they said.... I hope you don't want a SIM only.  I don't really understand this attitude.  Networks profit from SIM only deals!  I also think EE should do more to promote their PAYG offering.  People leave EE for companies like giffgaff because they don't realise that EE offer a similar service.  Sure, giffgaff is cheaper, but the mobile internet is dire. 

Yes.  Only an idiot would sign up for a phone contract unless the deal is exceptional.   SIMO and buy direct from manufacturer all the way, via cashback sites if applicable of course.

by
Ace Contributor

@uvarvu

I buy stuff like this on a 0% purchase credit card. Prefer it to a contract.

EE contact details:
Freephone 0800 079 8586
by
Ace Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jmitchel

@sully1311 

I've noticed that my S7 Edge, which was bought SIM free, is now compatible with VoLTE using a Three payg SIM. Generally, you have to have bought the device from Three, unless it's an iPhone..... Unless you're using the Three in Touch app. I did install Three in Touch, but VoLTE still works after uninstalling it, even though the Three website says it shouldn't. I'm wondering if Samsung's last software update introduced compatibility. I get a toggle to switch VoLTE on and off, in the phone settings, as soon as I put a Three SIM in. When I put the EE SIM back in, the toggle immediately disappears.

EE contact details:
Freephone 0800 079 8586
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.