by shanclan Contributor
Contributor

4G Broadband and signal booster - OK to use together?

In my previous set up I had an EE signal booster box attached to the broadband router to give  an EE mobile signal in the house where there was no coverage.  My wired broadband was with another provider. I am replacing the existing broadband with EE 4G using the supplied Huawei router attached to an external aerial.  

I want to move the signal box onto the new EE Huawei router.  Couple of Qs:

- are there any issues with having the signal box on wired connection close to the router?  The signal box is broadcasting a 3G signal (albeit 3G): does that reduce the ability of the router to pick up on a good 4G signal?

- will the box need to be re-registered as it is now coming though a different ISP?

- will I now need

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by shanclan Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: 4G Broadband and signal booster - OK to use together?

?.  No it isn't exactly the same.  When the signal booster is off I have zero phone signal so cannot make calls.  When the signal booster is on and connected, I have a 3G signal and can make calls.  Data is through the Wifi whether the booster is present or not, calls are through the 3G.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't see the point of doing that. The signal is still coming over the mobile network at whatever strength the mobile BB receiving it. When used with BB the signal comes over the BB connection & delivered as 3G.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by shanclan Contributor
Contributor

No.  In the house we hardly get any signal on a mobile phone: nothing in most places.  The signal to the router comes from a unidirectional external antenna on the roof. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So just connect your devices directly to the router by WiFi to take advantage of its stronger signal. Why bother sticking a booster in the middle, that's not intended for it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by shanclan Contributor
Contributor

They are all connected to Wifi.  Need the signal booster to create the 3G signal to take and make calls.  Neither of our phones has Wifi dialling.

by shanclan Contributor
Contributor

Just went ahead and tried it. The signal booster registered fine and there wasn't any impact on the router or WiFi speeds. Job done.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Now try it without the signal booster & it'll be exactly the same.

by shanclan Contributor
Contributor
Solution

?.  No it isn't exactly the same.  When the signal booster is off I have zero phone signal so cannot make calls.  When the signal booster is on and connected, I have a 3G signal and can make calls.  Data is through the Wifi whether the booster is present or not, calls are through the 3G.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're right! W/out the booster the router is getting its mobile signal thro' the aerial while the phones are only getting it, or not in this case, from the mobile airwaves.

Good thinking!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions