by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

4G 800MHz does it make much of a difference

I'm considering moving to a sim only pay monthly plan and see one of the potential benefits in doing this is the ability to use the 4G 800MHz frequency that EE uses and also use 4G Calling. I own an iPhone 7 Plus, purchased unlocked from Apple.

I have checked at this URL http://maps.ee.co.uk/all?brand=ee&tab=newajaxcoverage&src=tmpCoverageResponse&callback=updateMobileC...

to see if 4G 800MHz is available in my area and I get the following shown:

{"type" : "2G", "strength" : "4", "selected" : true} , {"type" : "3G", "strength" : "4", "selected" : false} , {"type" : "4G800", "strength" : "4", "selected" : false} , {"type" : "4G1800", "strength" : "4", "selected" : false , "highspeed4g" : true}, {"type" : "4G2600", "strength" : "0", "selected" : false} , {"type" : "4GPlus", "strength" : "0", "selected" : false}] , "lastUpdated" : "27 February 2017 12:00 AM

From this, it does show that 4G 800MHz is available in my area and also on checking neighbouring postcodes on there too.

From what I can gather (from what I've read online and correct me if I am wrong) EE prioritises 4G as follows:

Tries to connect firstly with the higher MHz 4G first, if that's unavailable, then tries the lower MHz 4G frequencies, and lastly (before trying to connect with 3G) it tries to connect with 4G 800MHz, if that fails then it would move to 3G or 2G, if no 3G coverage were there. I'm not totally sure on this, so I would appreciate confimation on this, from someone who is more in the know that what I am 🙂

My question is, for people who have access to 4G 800MHz. Are you seeing much better indoor reception to what you were seeing prior to the 4G 800MHz rollout?

6 REPLIES 6
by Gillsfankev Investigator
Investigator

Re: 4G 800MHz does it make much of a difference

From what I can see there 4g800 is showing as 'False'

So that would suggest the area that you checked doesn't have 4G800

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thanks @Gillsfankev

I was lead to believe that if there was a number rather than a zero in that particular part (the number relates to the signal strength) that was an indication to that area been covered?

For example, mine shows for 4G 800MHz:

{"type" : "4G800", "strength" : "4"

But for 4G 2600 MHz:

type" : "4G2600", "strength" : "0"

And for 4G Plus:

"type" : "4GPlus", "strength" : "0"

It shows a 0, which from what I was lead to believe 0 means that, that area is not covered.

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

I wouldn't put too much faith in the results of that - as far as I'm aware the numbers it pulls up from the database have been the same for about 18 months, which would support the theory many have that it's just test data.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@GrahamR wrote:

I wouldn't put too much faith in the results of that - as far as I'm aware the numbers it pulls up from the database have been the same for about 18 months, which would support the theory many have that it's just test data.

Thanks.

It does mention though when you enter the postcode via the earlier posted URL that it was

"lastUpdated" : "27 February 2017 12:00 AM"

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

True, but it doesn't necessarily mean the 800 data has been updated.

All I'm saying is that personally, I wouldn't make any purchasing decisions based on the data.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@GrahamR wrote:
True, but it doesn't necessarily mean the 800 data has been updated.

All I'm saying is that personally, I wouldn't make any purchasing decisions based on the data.

Thanks Graham.

Pity there isn't a definitive way of been able to check Smiley Frustrated

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.