Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

4G/5G inside a router. Phone can browser internet, laptop cannot

Hi,

A weird thing is happening. I'm trying to move from Vodafone to EE.

So I just received a EE 5G sim card the new £38/month plan. Plugged it into my 5G router (it's the same EE uses for their mobile broadband packages - Huawei 5G CPE Pro, model H112-370).

It finds 5G, when I connect to the wifi via my phone, the speed is great. Though there's a problem, when I use Chrome browser - everything works, if I use Brave browser - it doesn't open pages.

When I connect to the wifi with my MacBook laptop and my Windows laptop, neither of them can access any website.

I've put my second sim card which is 4G only into the same router to test it with 4G, same issue as above where phone sort of works but laptops don't.

When I use the EE sim in my phone, all browsers work. When I tether from my phone to the laptop, the laptop works.

I initially thought it was content blocking which I disabled now, but it didn't help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: 4G/5G inside a router. Phone can browser internet, laptop cannot

FOUND A SOLUTION.

Need to create a new APN on the router:

The usual details

APN: everywhere

Username: eesecure

Password: secure

Authentication: PAP

Now, this last one is the lifesaver!

In the "IP type", instead of "IPv4 & IPv6" I had to select "IPv4" and now it works on my laptops! Yay!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I've put my second sim card which is 4G only into the same router to test it with 4G, same issue as above where phone sort of works but laptops don't.

To clarify the 4G sim card was another EE sim card.

The router is unlocked, so any sim card works with it. And you know it's unlocked because I can still access the internet on my phone when I use Chrome browser.

The Vodafone 5G sim currently works like a charm but I need to make the EE sim work as I'm moving to an area that Vodafone 5G does not cover.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator
Solution

FOUND A SOLUTION.

Need to create a new APN on the router:

The usual details

APN: everywhere

Username: eesecure

Password: secure

Authentication: PAP

Now, this last one is the lifesaver!

In the "IP type", instead of "IPv4 & IPv6" I had to select "IPv4" and now it works on my laptops! Yay!

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.