by alexibob
Explorer

2/4 bars connection strength but very slow 4g speeds

Hello

I moved into my house about 6 months ago. Have always noticed the 4g speeds on my iPhone 7 are super slow when in my house or nearby. Even tried when driving around the area. Get good speeds but as soon as I get to about 1/2 mile from my house it slows right down.

Today did speed test with 2/4 bars connection, got 0.95mbps down, 8.69mbps upload. 32ms latency.

Think there must be a problem with the cell my house is in as its always this slow.

Have used the ee service checker which says no problems in my area.

Its on the edge of Bristol in a built up area so wouldn't expect it to be slow.

I have iPhone 7 with latest software running safari. Get a good 30.00mbps most other places, just by my house drops off to less than 1.00.

Upload speeds seem to be unaffected.

have tried resetting network settings, rebooting phone, closing background apps yada yada yada

Any ideas anyone?

Photo attached of speed test I did about 20 mins ago whilst walking outside

IMG_0140.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 2/4 bars connection strength but very slow 4g speeds

Hi @alexibob 

You might be in a 4G area, but near the edge, hence the drop in quality. This is common for all mobile carriers. 

You have checked for any problems and there are none, however can report problems via the same page. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by alexibob
Explorer

But if I was near the edge wouldn’t I have slow upload and download speeds?

seems odd that just the download speed is slow but upload speed is almost 9.0mbps..

Have reported the issue to EE before using the app but then a few days later comes back to say it’s been checked and no issues were detected.

Im almost tempted to get in my bike and cycle around the local area, see if it speeds up if I travel in a certain direction..

i mean, I’m a stones throw from a large trading estate with Tesco extra, Ikea etc so it would seem strange to be on the edge of a cell in such a high traffic area. Tesco is about 100m away

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @alexibob

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon,

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.