EE Community

Contributor
tgoddard

Outgoing SMTP server for EE

Hi there

im new to EE, I have just transferred from Orange to EE.

I am having problems with setting up my email account.

I have spent days trying to sort out this problem so would be grateful for any response.

My main problem is that I am a tiscali email customer (now talk talk)

i have managed to set up my incoming mail settings to the following as per the talk talk web page and i am currently recieving incoming emails

incoming settings:

user name: my name @tiscali.co.uk

password: entered password

POP3. Server : pop3.tiscali.co.uk

Port:110

Security type: none

Now as far as i am aware talk talk do not allow you to use there smtp settings for when im not at home on my broadband which is with talk talk. So you need a third party smtp. ( when i was with orange, it was orange smtp) As far as i am aware after the constant phone calls and searching EE do not have their own outgoing server.

so i tried to still use orange which is accepted in settings but when i try and send an email it says connection error

SMTP server: smtp.orangehome.co.uk

Port: 587

Security type: none

Require sign in: unticked.

Please does anyone know why my phone Sony xperia sp accepts these outgoing settings but still will not allow outgoing emails, is it because i am with EE?

i have currently got my phone set up with gmail outgoing server and this works only problem is that my incoming are from my tiscali account and i am sending out through my gmail email account! Which is not ideal. 

I need them both to be sent and received from my tiscali account.

Please if anyone could help that will be great, I am pulling my hair out !!

thanks

Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

Re: Outgoing SMTP server for EE

Your problem is that the SMTP server requires a secure authentication (login) before it will let you send an email.

The settings you need can be found here:

http://m.help.talktalk.co.uk/email/what-are-talktalks-email-settings

Personally I would use IMAP in preference to POP3.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tgoddard

Hi there thank you for replying, I have gone on that link and put in the settings for tiscali however these settings only work when at home on wifi, when I go onto 3g or 4g I cannot send emails just receive?
Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

So there is still an issue authenticating the SMTP server. Ask TalkTalk support if they have any advice.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tgoddard

Tried that they have said they have given all the support they can. I was onto the phone all afternoon with them. I since found out I need to use server from my network provider which used to be orange and there outgoing settings worked find but ee doesnt have outgoing smtp.

The frustration continues- ee says talk talk and talk talk says ee.

Thank you for your advice
Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Rakhi

Hello

did you find a solution, i have the same problem cant send out from tiscali  on EE. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tgoddard

Thank you for link I have tried now to change to imap settings like the solution above however she is a talk talk customer and I have a tiscali account so servers are different names:

these are settings I have put in:

username
password
Incoming
imap.tiscali.co.uk
port 143
none

outgoing
smtp.tiscali.co.uk
port 587
none
require sign in ticked
account name
password

it accepts incoming settings but wont recognise outgoing settings.

error message

could not open connection, failed to connect to smtp.tiscali.co.uk port 587

also from the forum the person was connected to her home broadband not her virgin data. I can get it to work in my home broadband through pop account setttings but not when I am out of the house

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tgoddard

Hi there I have just gone on to the talk talk forum and their seems to be loads of people who have this problem esp if they are a tiscali customer. I have linked myself to the forum where everyone is waiting for a response on this issue. No one seems to be able to resolve this issue

Apparently it works if you are talk talk customer but if you are pervious customer tiscali settings do not work

Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

Good, have you tried substituting the talktalk server names in the above solution ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tgoddard

Yes I have still no joy hopefully someone from talk talk will respond as whenever you call no one seems to understand the problem, very frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

Hopefully someone will from TalkTalk (or their forum) will get this sorted out soon, if they do could you please post the solution on this forum. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tgoddard

Yes of course that is fine hope it gets sorted soon
Please use plain text.
Inyourbox
Kudos: 170
Solutions: 188

The problem with EE4G is it uses bits from both the Orange and T-Mobile Network. For example the network, billing and main network infrastructure runs on the T-Mobile Network and EE4G's voicemail system uses Oranges as its more advanced.

Now because EE4G run's on T-Mobiles Network Infrastructure its blocked SMTP like T-Mobile has, where Orange does not block SMTP.

"All price plans and add-ons block unsolicited spam email (unauthenticated 

Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) email) whilst in the UK and abroad.
The EE film service is blocked whilst abroad, as required under our film
distribution arrangements."

For more information on the EE's Traffic Management click here.

I hope this helps solve why your having problems with SMTP.

Please use plain text.
CJJ Investigator
Investigator
CJJ

[ Edited ]

Hi

it seems to me that EE have been making the most changes to the network and therefore are the most likely cause of the error in being able to connect to SMTP servers.

I too have a Tiscali email address which up until a couple of weeks ago worked fine via SMTP-t-email.co.uk setting.

I still get incoming emails but not outgoing.

I tested the Tiscali SMTP server via a different network & outgoing emails work fine!

There is no reason why TalkTalk would change the SMTP server protocols and my test prove they still accept emails via other SMTP servers.

However I know EE have been messing about with the network and this last post more or less confirms that the system is a complete dogs breakfast of how data, connections & service are currently being used.

As customers like myself pay t-Mobile/EE a considerable amount of money each month for unlimited data, then it is upto EE to find a solution to the problem!

Or is it in EE's interest to not to sort this out because their network is not able to cope with the email traffic that customers are paying for?

Come on EE - sort this out.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
bristolian

[ Edited ]

The problem is, that inyourbox is not entirely correct.. you're getting the radio & core networks completely mixed up.

EE 2G & 3G uses a mixture of ex-Orange & ex-T-Mob (MBNL) radio sites, EE 4G only runs on MBNL radio sites.

Irrespective of which radio site you are attached to at a given time, you will be using one single "EE" Core network. It's the core network that takes voice & data traffic from radio sites and passes it onto other networks, systems and platforms. Email and voicemail are examples of those other platforms. If we're going to be precise about this, then email platforms are not even part of the "mobile network" at all, though they will obviously have connections to it.

So please never think that email settings have anything to do with "which mast" or which network you're connected to, that could not be more irrelevant if you tried.

Please use plain text.
CJJ Investigator
Investigator
CJJ

THE POINT I was trying to make is that the merger between T-Mobile & Orange with the introduction of EE has undoubtedly made it more difficult instead of easy to connect my email (data) to it's respective ISP.

I was told that which 'mast' I connected to - did indeed influence which SMTP server I went through.

which is the reason that there are different SMTP's

Orangesmtp.orange.co.uk
T-Mobile

smtp.t-email.co.uk

EEmail.ee.net
Orange netsmtp.orange.net

If I have been given duff information, it is down to the level of technical help and quality of information on Forums such as this. So forgive me for thinking that which mast is relevant - it made logical sense they would connect to different servers.

The problem remains - I am paying for a data connection which has stopped functioning. I would like the issue resolving.

I've got technical support involved several times - only to be told several cotradictory reasons for the issue.

It would appear that there are many other customers having the same issue.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
bristolian

Oh no, that's fine. But by the very nature of "EE" currently being a mixture of radio sites ("masts") from two different networks and national-roaming/"smart-share"/intra-network handovers doing the rest... it would be total lunacy if network/email settings were different depending on which network you were attached to at a given time.

It's a very good CS "excuse" and yes, some services do behave slightly differently depending how your call or data is routed... until the network is fully integrated there are bound to be some gremlins such as this...

If you are a T-Mobile customer then every time you are on an "Orange mast", then effectively you are using national roaming but you still remain a T-Mobile customer using T-Mobile services....and the experience should be totally seamless. Same if you're an Orange customer but using a "T-Mobile mast"

Rewinding a little bit... I understand you're using a Talk Talk POP3/IMAP email account but having problems with sending email. That's understandable, most email accounts let you connect to your *incoming* server from any connection, but will insist on you *sending* mail from the same "ISP" as you are connected through.. so in this case Orange/T-Mob/EE. The exception is if your email provider lets you use "authenticated SMTP", i.e. use your email username/password to connect to their outgoung mail server and therefore "bypass" the one provided by your "connection"... hope this is making some sense

Re-reading some previous posts, there is a suggestion that TalkTalk's SMTP authentication is somehow not working when you're connecting via EE/Orange/TM. If so, that is indeed a problem somewhere between EE/O/TM and may well require co-operation between both (as it is potentially a core-network change by EE that has caused it) but is ultimately for TT to resolve as it is their server saying "go away". That other ISPs and email providers don't seem to have such problems, would point the fingers back at TalkTalk for being the "guilty" party.

If I have misunderstood the problem, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me....

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Lorna25

I have a similar problem.  I have moved from conventional broadband with PlusNet through a landline, to EE's 4GEE (mobile, no landline required) which has been rolled out to our very rural area.  The speed is fantastic, but how do I access and send emails?  PlusNet say I can keep my existing email address but what should the incoming and outgoing server settings be?

Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/

Receiving email should be straight forward, you need to make sure you get the secure settings for the outgoing SMTP exactly right, otherwise it will just bounce.

Please use plain text.