EE Community

Contributor
Vanguard

My 4G Journey - So Far...

Hi All,

First off, I'm a new user to this forum, so bear with me while I get acclimatized..!

Before I detail my journey so far, can I first emphasize that I do not work for EE or TMUK or OUK - (although I used to !) - this is intended as a view from an average user.

Ok, so I have had an EE phone for about 3 weeks now, I took the option to 'Swap To EE' by swapping out my TMUK GS3 & contract for an 24 month EE contract (with the additional roaming option) with an iPhone 5 (32Gb). The 'swap' process itself went very smoothly, I took the GS3 into the EE store (ex T-Mobile) said what I was after, no issues, they understood what was needed. They didn't have a 32Gb iPhone 5 in stock, the girlie there went down to the ex-Orange store to pick one up. They even price matched to a lower cost for the iPhone to match what Orange were offering.

The MSISDN switch switch was done in-store, and within 15mins my old T-Mobile sim number had gone, and moved to the new EE sim. I left the store with a new phone and working sim.

My experience so far has generally been good. I have a great phone, which compared to my older iPhone 4 is a marked improvement, and also I think a slight improvement on Samsung GS3......on the plus side I have activated visual voicemail and full diverts, although a number retail stores i visited querying visual voicemail had never heard of it !! - I was rescued by an Apple store who were spot on !

Although I don't live in 4G coverage, when I've traveled to areas with it I've found the coverage good and speeds, although variable, pretty good - I've even managed a download speed of over 45Mb/s !!

3G coverage has been good, bearing in mind the consolidated TMUK / OUK 3G network access - much more widespread 3G coverage than I experienced with either O2 or Vodafone. Data rates on 3G were also reasonable to good, although did drop during busy periods.

My only minor gripes are: customer service, generally very helpful, polite & professional and happy to assist - however the information they gave / had was far from being satisfactory - I could speak to say 3 different CSA's and i would get 3 completely different answers...then look on the EE website and get a fourth..!! I appreciate all the changes going on in EE - but accurate information and common story are vital...

Network - as said, generally very good, however, on a number of occasions my phone drops in signal, from say 3 bars to 1 - then drops to No Network - and then within 30 seconds jumps back to 5 bars...I think this maybe related to the Idle-Mode Reselection between the two PLMN codes - so as soon as this is consolidated this should improve..

Hope this helps in some way - happy to discuss further if needed..!

Regards

Vanguard...<..>

Please use plain text.
Ex-Community Manager
Joe

Re: My 4G Journey - So Far...

Hi Vanguard! Welcome to the community.

I'm Joe, the EE Community manager - I'm sure some regular users will come & say "Hi" too.

Thanks so much for your feedback here, its really important to us so we're massively appreciative you taking the time to do this.

Sounds like you've had similar gripes to a few other customers; rest assured we're working hard behind the scenes to make sure everything runs as smoothly and as helpfully as possible.

I look forward to hearing more about your EE experience, keep us updated!

Joe :robothappy:

Please use plain text.
jmitchel

[ Edited ]
Thanks for posting Vanguard.

Nice to see a positive post. Pretty much the same as my switch from T-Mobile to 4GEE.

Touch wood, I've not experienced any network issues round here in East Lancashire even though 4G is rapidly been rolled out round here at the minute. Even before that, the EE 3G network has always been great round here.

My only minor gripe is why it's taking EE so long to upgrade Orange masts as so far it appears only T-Mobile masts are getting 4G and/or DC 3G upgrades. When I'm at home, as the Orange mast is fractionally closer, I usually end up on that, whilst it is 3G, it's much slower than the recently upgraded DC 3G T-Mobile mast in the same town.

I'd read that EE4G handsets will 'prefer' T-Mobile masts over Orange ones but in my experience, that's not the case.
Community stars programme
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Vanguard

From what I remember of the 'old days' the 4G network would use the same PLMN code as the legacy TMUK network, 234-30. If EE sims are defined with the same CC-MNC then they should 'prefer' TMUK, but take into that EPLMN is active....
Please use plain text.
Investigator
afropuff

Strange how positive comments about EE are addressed but comments about the dire activation service are left unanswered! ansolutely appalled at the level of service received. Why hasn't my sim been activated a full 3 days after sign up? Disappointed doesn't even cover it.
Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
freemondo

Afropuff is correct. A positive post is jumped on by EE who are quick to take the credit. A negative post doesn't seem to get the same personal attention. (Lets just say, i never got the same welcome). I'm happy with EE's 4G service, my download speeds are spectacular. It's just a shame the customer service is so spectacularly bad. In short, if you're lucky enough for everything to run smoothly you'll be fine with EE. God help you if you have a problem!
Please use plain text.
Investigator
afropuff

I would love to experience the speculation download speeds freemondo is referring to, unfortunately 4 days later i am still waiting for my sim to be activated. I am no nearer to finding out why such a simple act of activation is taking so long!

EE customer service have outdone themselves, apparently my number has now been reallocated to another person. However EE are not "unduly worried" as this will sort itself out apparently! The saga continues...
Please use plain text.
Ex-Community Manager
Joe

Hi guys,

We do treat both negative and positive feedback equally - sometimes it takes us longer to respond to negative conversation as I'll be trying my best to resolve it behind the scenes. 

Afropuff - if you'd like to drop me a direct message I can look into your problem for you?

Thanks again 

Joe

Please use plain text.
Investigator
afropuff

*spectactular
Please use plain text.
Skilled Contributor
Mike179

Afro. I hate to say it but I bet it's just a simple fix. Someone not done there job properly again. They are some people who do it right first time round and some others take a little longer. Guess if it was there own families phone they do it right first time
Please use plain text.
Northerner

Shame you haven't got 4G as whilst sometimes hit and miss it is just brilliant and there is no way you will go back.

CS is poor it's that simple. The "straight to voicemail" ,"Ghost messages" or "content lock" problems still randomly occur on 4G but less frequently now.

Please use plain text.