EE Community

Established Contributor
Toliver182

Can't make outgoing call or texts abroad on EE

I recently went to France and before that Budapest.

I was unable to make outgoing calls or text messages from my iPhone 5

The call would just end before even ringing and text would fail to send.

I then selected a carrier manually tried to make a call. I received a prerecorded message stating that my home country service has not registered me for this service. I was on orange in France.

I did the usual airplane mode on and off, restarting the phone.

Data worked ok but was very expensive

This was extremely in frustrating while I was snowboarding. I had full signal on the mountain and my family and friends could all make calls!

The main problem was when I fell and broke my ankle, I was on my own and could not call anyone for help! No emergency numbers, nothing!

I was stranded without being able to call.

When I finally was rescued and got to a hospital I was unable to call my insurance company!

Brilliant service EE!

Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

Re: Can't make outgoing call or texts abroad on EE

If you had any kind of signal from any network operator you should be able to make emergency calls even if the phone is locked. In France that would usually be 112.

Very odd that data was working, sounds like roaming was not enabled for your SIM or if it was it failed to provision properly.

Hope your ankle is healing.

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
Toliver182

Roaming was on on my phone, I agree it seems that EE did not provision my sim to make calls abroad.

There was a specific emergency number for mountain rescue.
Please use plain text.
Brilliant Contributor
Chester

[ Edited ]

112 can transfer to Mountain Rescue in some areas (Chamonix for example), hope you were not stranded for too long.

Given your other problems, with LTE and no calls being received it might be an idea to get another SIM issued and have all your services reprovisioned. After that it looks like a trip to the Apple Genius Bar might be in order. 

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
Toliver182

Thanks Chester, I did not know that. I was in fact in Chamonix. Poor guy had to drag me on a stretcher for 2 miles whilest only on skis

As I said it is a refurbished phone( old one had touch screen issues) and I went through 6 different sims when EE cocked up my migration.

Please use plain text.
Expert Contributor
350doc

[ Edited ]

I can confirm that, in Budapest, you can use any local network for calls from an EE phone. The networks there are more fussy for data (EE advise you turn LTE off and switch manually to T Mobile).  People have reported problems with 3G usage in the US (and have had to use particular networks). Voice shouldn't be a problem though, so it looks like your SIM hasn't been provisioned for international calls (and/or they have put a block on your account for roaming).

Please use plain text.
Expert Contributor
Step666

3G issues in the US may relate to the different frequencies that the two GSM networks use out there.

T-Mobile US use a fairly unusual 3G band and AT&T's bands differ from what's commonly used in Europe, so even if roaming was correctly provisioned, there can be issues relating to the hardware compatibility of the individual handset.

Sorry, I know that's not relevant to this thread, just figured it was worth mentioning.

Please use plain text.