EE Community

Explorer
SamNye

Phone Barred - Huge Bill

I am a British Soldier who is based in Germany and i have recently taken out a new contract with EE because of the good roaming plan they appear to have. I recieved my phone yesterday and could not make any calls from it, i signed into My EE to discover i have a bill of £245 even though i haven't used the phone and no explanation as to why. I rang the customer service and after an hour or so of conversation i managed to get the bill lowered as there was a mistake on EE's side, however i have no proof of this and My EE account still shows the same bill as before. I was told my phone is barred and i would have to pay £150 to remove the barr, which i don't have. The only other option was to remove the 'roaming' part of the plan which means i would have a phone which is useless to me and would defeat the whole point of me taking out the contract. NOWHERE in the terms and conditions or on the taking out of the contract does it mention about a deposit which meens i was missold the contract and the phone. I have been told the barr is lifted temporarlily, but still after 20+ hours i cannot make calls from the phone, making it worthless. The customer service was good however i have no proof that they have actually lowered the bill, or even tried to unbarr my phone. EE need to atleast mention somwhere about this charge as i would have never have taken out the contract if they did!

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
clark97

Re: Phone Barred - Huge Bill

They are experts at misleading and mis selling

Please use plain text.
Investigator
kam187

Ask for escalation, and keep going untill you hit a brick wall.

Then call the regulator, and you'll get a call from someone at the directors department.  These guys have common sense, and the authority to get things done, refunded, and offer compensation.

Don't waste any more time with the normal customer services if you're not getting anywhere.  If they've taken any money out of your account they shouldn't have, then call your bank and get them to refund the direct debit amount.

It sounds like you have good grounds to just cancel the whole contract and be done with them.  Sounds like they breached the terms of the contract and failed to provide your the service you paid for,

See what they offer you in way of compensation and decide from there.  Don't panic, just follow those steps and let everyone you speak to know you've wasted far too much time on this already and with all due respect if they don't have the authority to get this sorted here and now, please escalate it to someone with that authority.

There's no use asking the customer support at the end of 150 for a refund if he/she has to get it authorised by 10 people above them = you'll be waiting weeks.

Please use plain text.
Investigator
mikedodd5

I started with EE about a month before my job started in Spain, since being here I added the roaming package and after 2 weeks my phone network cut off, I couldnt even ring 150 and had no data connection, after ringing EE they said my phone was barred and I have to pay my bill early even though I had set up a direct debit, although I was supprised at the bill because I had a package, I said id just pay it so I could be unbarred to ring my kids. 

Well I paid before Christmas and was told id be unbarred within 24hrs, waited 2 days nothing happened, so gave my mate £20 to borrow his phone to call them again, this time i was told the bar is lifted and have I charged my phone up!? 

Next time I rang i was told i must restore my phone, but as I couldnt back up due to no data connection I lost all my numbers and photos, still nothing.

Third time I rang was told "O yes the is still a bar"! well get an Engineer on it, will be back on within 24hours. Still nothing.

Forth time I called I asked to cancel my contract as EE cant offer me the service i signed up for, was told OK, theirs 700 odd pound fee, which is almost the entire contracts line rental. I argued that its not my fault and I will return my iphone but its no good.

Its ended up I will have to pay the line rental for the remainder of the contract with a barred account as they dont know how to unbar it! 

Totally rediculous, im gonna sign up with O2 online and get my gf to post the phone out to me when it is delivered, and ill just have to pay twice until i return home and take the 2 last recorded phone calls to watchdog to try and get my money back, as i cannot afford to keep paying people £20 to use there phone to ring the UK, it embarresing and I will never get the money back.

Im in a remote part of spain with no landline access.

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
sleepy

It's frustrating mind as they have literally no idea what they are doing. There are some really nice people work for the company but the majority seem clueless and frankly couldn't give a **bleep** about customers.

The network is also, so far rubbish!
Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
sleepy

Also why is the word "d a m n" being bleeped out, making it look like foul language is being used!!!?
Please use plain text.
l0uise

Exactly the same thing is happening to me. Received phone, can't make calls, just had bill for £286 due thursday!!  £250 on top of the amount I agreed to pay. Not looking forward to the call to them I'm going to have to make now.

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
EddG

So is this basically only happening when you go abroad or when you're in the UK?
Regards
Edd
Please use plain text.
Explorer
SamNye

The phone cant be used in the UK either. I have now got internet services running (which cost me £25 as im abroad) but still cant make any calls/texts. I have been waiting 6 days now after being told i should have to wait a maximum of 24 hours, then told 48 hours, then told 5 days. The 5th day is tomorrow. I have a slight feeling it still wont be working but all i can do is wait.
Please use plain text.
Investigator
mikedodd5

Did you manage to get this problem sorted and your phone unbarred? Im still in the same position, ive called them 11 times now and still no service.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
timwhite

I know how you feel. Bought my wife an i Phone 5 from Orange on a £37/month contract. First bill was £1799-00. Had a brief chat to them and they promised to sort it out. Next month £700 bill. Then had a chat to their CEO. All sorted never made a mistake again. 

These days I buy my phones and i Pads directly from an Apple Store and use cash - or from their web store and pay by credit card (to protect me if it goes wrong).

Orange are a nice Company - better  than the rest of them. However, if it goes wrong and you are not in England you have a problem. Your phone needs to be within an English 'cell' for it to be sorted out or updated.

I know it sounds crass, but look at the true cost of a 24 month contract and then go and buy an Apple i Phone directly from Apple and stuff a PAYG micro SIM card into it. Keep life simple.

I use a Blackberry Q5 from Virgin Media on my doctor's orders. The phone and Virgin Media keep my blood pressure high without having to take a tablet. 

Please use plain text.