EE Community

Explorer
lilpopjim

Speeds reduced to a crawl - Internet keeps dropping out.

Hello everyone!

My first post here.

I'm a little annoyed here, mainly becuase of customer service. This wil probablly seem more of a complaint then me asking for help, just very frustrating dealing with this issue.

The problem anyways is that 2 days ago my internet droped out and never came back, done the normal procedure and nothing. reset to factory defaults, pushed the router to reconfigure into ADSL mode etc. I had a dial tone come through to the phone but after accessing the router there was no signal comming through at all. ADSL light was off on the router as well. So basically i was offline. LAN network was fine. I changed the router for my old AOL router, inputted my broadband user name and password etc and same story. LAN was fine but had no external connection so i'm guessing there was nothing wrong with the router itself. 

At one point the internet did come back online but as it's stands bandwidth is miniscule, as in max download is 30KB/s, upload is 50KB/s. (normally 200KB/s, i live in the country so it's pretty poop!) If i reset the router the connection will drop and will come back online in roughly 4-5 hours, it might vary as i've only reset it 2 times (reset, as in when i established a connection and then reset)

This is where the problem ends, i currently have a connection but still at it's slowest speed. 

Please help, i can't stand talking to the Indian call centres. Not becuase i'm racist but because they don't know anything about computers/ networks. Read off a script, each one saying the same steps every single time. And sometimes even have trouble listening to me and vice versa. It's an uphill battle and i'm not getting anywhere when i phone in.

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
maddocks2379

Re: Speeds reduced to a crawl - Internet keeps dropping out.

Maybe the bt line has become damaged, if you've done all the initial tests (different filters, direct to test port on master socket) iwould think you will need either tech support to reset something their side or get and engineer out.

if your struggling with getting them to help, lodge a complaint against them as they become much more willing then. Are u coming towards the back end of your contract? If so ring cancellations and ask for your contract end date, they will ask why and explain your problem and lack of help from tech. They will sort you out
Please use plain text.
Explorer
lilpopjim

I got it all fixed. Problem laid at the sockey it's self. I tried different filters and everything but that didn't work. Into the master socket and the one beside it. Nothing! Was very strange. We have an RJ11 (i think that's the corerct name!) socket which goes over the main socket, dissconnected that and plugged it in directly and still didn't work. Tried the same process again the next day and reset router to factory defaults again and it was fine. Been fine since. I'll try the 'overlay' socket again soon and see if it's the same. Strange how i'd just stop working.. Also weird how it ceases to allow a connection through.. But would once a few hours passed. Works fine now though. 

Thanks for your help! My dad used to play that card all the time with AOL. Was funny. Got them to lower their price a few times as well by saying that :-) 

Thanks anyways maddocks!

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
maddocks2379

Odd but glad it sorted.

i play that game often, paid like 7 months from my last 12
Please use plain text.