EE Community

Dirtyangel

Re: EE failing to unlock my iPhone 5

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem, been trying to unlock since mid October 2013. After 20 (working) days still nothing so I call EE again. No trace of my original request. Unbelievable. Start process again. 20 (working) days later same story. I ask for a manager to complain to and am promised a resolution within 48 hours and also promised a call back with progress. This has now happened 4 times, no resolution, no call backs. The customer service team are useless and liars. This is supposed to be a communictions company. All I'm trying to do is unlock a phone, not split an atom or enrich weapons grade uranium, why is it so difficult for these people? I could've walked to their unlocking department 200 miles away (which apparently has no phones....... yeah right, another lie) unlocked it myself and walked home again, 5 times!

Vodafone and O2 can unlock via their websites within 72 hours. Why do EE take so long and use such an outdated process? I know where my business is going at the end of my contract.

Please use plain text.
renodaigle

I have the same issue. I've requested my iphone 5 to be unlocked twice now and I get the initial email saying it will be 20 days, and then nothing. I've called EE and they say someone will get back to me in 72 hours, and again nothing. The service is awful considering how much I'm paying for it. 

Please use plain text.
luisop

Same here... First they blamed the Philippines Hurricane and then Xmas time..I did my first attempt on Nov 6th, I was even charged for the unlocking and I am still waiting... I wish I could cancel my contract with EE.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mbearne

I'm yet another disgruntled customer with the same problems. It's day 31 for me and I have no other phone to use!
Very irate.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
lukehoyland

I have been waiting nearly three months now.

I bought my phone at the Apple Store. It was unlocked at the time of purchase. I deliberately bought the phone at full price, without a contract, because I spend half the year outside the UK and so I knew I would be using different services at different times. I was not told at any stage that my phone would be locked automatically when I signed the phone up with Orange/EE. 

So I left the country in September (not due to return to UK until March) and found that my overseas contract SIM was not accepted in the phone, because the phone was locked. 

So I phoned EE and they apologised for not informaing me that the phone would be locked and said they'd fast-track my unlocking, given that I couldn't (and still can't) use the phone at all over here.

That was in early October. It's December 29 today.

After not receiving the promised email receipt, I phoned back and they told me the IMEI number had been taken down wrong. I gave them the IMEI number again.

After 10 more days I phoned again and they said they couldn't find the order and took my IMEI again. I made them read it back to me twice. I was warned that it can take up to 21 days but it "usually" would take much less than that. 

After 22 more days I phoned again and they said they couldn't see the order because my original SIM-only contract was with Orange (it was switched to EE at their request). But all would be well within a day or two.

Still nothing after another week, although they did bill me the unlocking fee, so I phoned again. Was told I'd get something within 24 hours.

After 5 days I phoned again and was told I'd get something within 72 hours. 

After 5 more days I was finally given a plausible explanation for nothing happening: that they could only contact the unlocking service by email and that there were backlogs. I was told that this had been a problem for several months, which made me wonder if all the previous excuses had been not entirely accurate. I was assured that my case would be taken to management and I would hear back from them soon. They said they'd refund the unlocking fee, which was something. 

When inevitably I didn't hear back from them I phoned again and was told that delays of several months were normal. (This despite the quoted 21 days and the fact that other companies seem to manage to turn this around within 3 days.) I was told that there was no point reminding them because there was nothing they could do.

So I'm still paying a monthly contract fee to a company whose services I'm not using (because I'm in the wrong country) and that can't restore my phone to its previous unlocked state to allow me to use anyone else's services. I think that's quite an interesting state if play with regard to contract law.

Calling the UK from Laos and spending ages working through the automated system and then waiting on hold is not cheap. I could have bought a couple of new unlocked smartphones for the price of the calls. But for me it's not the money, it's the principle.

I'm still waiting.

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
MikeJenvey

Please see contact details for Executive Office (& other options) here:

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices/Refund/m-p/82496#M6768
Please use plain text.
Skilled Contributor
bollyboy

lukehoyland

Hi

I bought a 5S  from the apple store and used it with EE, i've changed Sim cards many times without any problems.

I was not aware EE locked phones when used with there Sim cards, it's not been done with mine though.

Are they allowed to do that ?

I understand there locked when bought from EE as there subsidising the cost but Apple store bought ones surely should be network free.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mbearne

I have a similar story to yours. I'm outraged with Orange /EE .
I have tried every avenue I can to complain or get something done but nothing has happened yet! (Day 38 of my dispute with orange)
Please use plain text.
Investigator
Moving1

(Brickedphone ByTmobile) on Facebook...
Let's see how many names are added and how wider spread this issue is!
Please use plain text.
Community Hero
brendonx

[ Edited ]

Yes they are allowed to do it. It locks to first network sim you put in normally. So every network does it.

Brendon
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Running Android 4.4.2 KitKat) & Note 3 (Running Android 4.4.2 KitKat) on 4GEE Extra
Please note: I am just a customer like YOU!
Please use plain text.