EE Community

Community Manager
Ed_H

Voicemail security update (24/4/14)

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

You may have seen an article in The Register regarding a security issue with our voicemail service.

Our engineers have worked hard on a fix since this came to our attention. We can now confirm that we have updated our systems and patched the issues raised in the article.

We will now be running a full review of all our voicemail platforms to mitigate any further issues.

For a guide to setting up your EE voicemail service, including setting up a PIN, please visit EE Help.

Please use plain text.
Northerner

Re: Voicemail security update (24/4/14)

Lol missed this one. Any opportunity to claim compensation?
Please use plain text.
Inyourbox
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 183

[ Edited ]

@Ed_H I've discovered another security flaw within the EE voicemail system.

I'm on 4GEE and in my voicemail settings I have activated 'remote access alerts', which sends a text message to your phone when your voicemail is accessed from another phone.

The problem is that when you access your voicemail by dialling the EE voicemail number +44(0)7953222222 from another phone, the voicemail system does not send you a text informing you that your voicemail has been accessed.

However when I access my voicemail using the same phone from another network(Vodafone) but instead dialling Orange's voicemail number +44(0)7973100123, the system sends a text stating that "Your EE voicemail has been accessed from another phone and if you are not aware of this, contact customer services immediately."

I completly understand that you require a PIN to access someones voicemail from another phone, however if for any reason someone obtains that PIN, all they have to do is dial EE's voicemail number, enter the mobile number and PIN and then they'll have access to that persons voicemail without the person being notified by text message, regardless if they have remote access alerts activated.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ed_H

Thanks for updating us on this @Inyourbox . I've passed this on and I'll reply to you via PM when I know more on this.

Please use plain text.