EE Community

Investigator
jcwacky
Accepted Solution

Femtocell Signal Box Availability?

I'd like to sign up to an EE mobile plan, but EE signal is quite poor in my flat.

Is there any information about when EE shall offer Femtocell boxes like Vodafone's Sure Signal which I can plug into my broadband connection to give me a good mobile signal in my house?

Thanks

James

Please use plain text.
Investigator
KingsleyWeb

Re: Femtocell Signal Box Availability?

They were never available on Orange of T-Mobile, so i wouldn't hold your breath, although i did read an article on the register recently which indicated they were available from all networks, if you spent enough money with them and knew who to ask..

Please use plain text.
Expert Contributor
350doc

They were briefly mentioned on the EE website on launch day, but the link was removed later that day. I rang customer services about it and they said that such a service wasn't available at present. I suspect that something may be in the pipeline however.

Please use plain text.
ric Contributor
Contributor
ric

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
Devonbloke

Yeah the 3G signabox in the last post is "coming soon"

I rang up the other day to ask and they said in the next 4-8 weeks.. This was two weeks ago.

Should be here before Christmas.

cant wait. Been wanting a 3G Femto cell for about 4 years.

Incidentally, these are to increase voice  and SMS coverage, NOT data. They will do data but that would be silly as you would have wifi available in most cases since they use ypur broadband connection (via a spare Ethernet port) for their backhaul to EE.

Please use plain text.
Investigator
tonypeake

Just spoken to somone at EE who said Signal Box will launch on the 10th December.

Please use plain text.
Explorer
nosignal

thank god for that, hope Tmobile pay monthyl customers can have one too before i launch my phone at the wall in frustration !

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
Devonbloke

That is good news indeed.

Did they sound like thet knew what they were talking about?

Please use plain text.
Investigator
tonypeake

Yes they did sound as if they were pretty certain about it. My one concern is that if we are Orange or T Mobile customers they say we cant have one as its being reserved for the more valued EE customers,though as its now all the same company it would be hard to justify.

Please use plain text.
bullockj

After Orange turned off our local mast I have been leading a campaign to get it back again, but I know they won't. EE called "network optimization", I call it cost reduction. Anyway, Orange Femto Cell. I have spoke to Orange CS department on many occasions and they just don't know when they are available, even if they are around. Interestingly enough though, my neighbor up in the village is/was with T-Mobile, when he complained about lack of signal he had a T-Mobile Femto Cell in a matter of a few days. He plugged it into his Wireless Router and it works a treat. Come on EE, sort us Orange customer who have been left in the lurch.

Please use plain text.
Star Contributor
winston

I hope it will cost less than £50 ....
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
P.S. I don't work for EE
Please use plain text.
Investigator
tonypeake

Strike that just spoken with somone at Orange and they are now saying 2nd quarter of next year. Thats orange mind you and not EE. Does not look to good though.

Please use plain text.
Established Contributor
Devonbloke

Bugger. I really do hope it's the 10th (Monday) and the Orange person didn't know what they were talking about!

I really really nned one. I am on EE4G so maybe we'll get them first or something.

This is getting really silly now. If it doesn't appear i may have to get the "Signal Booster" which is basically a Cel-Fi unit. Trouble is, they cost £450 :-O

I do have a 3G signal in the window though so this would work.

Here's waiting for an anouncement on Monday then!!

Please use plain text.
roberthann

Just spoke to EE after they have launched Signal Box this week. It is only available to Corporate customers and, as it only supports a limited number of phones per box, it would be a management challenge for big offices.  The people that most need it are surely domestic customers and SME's that often have less users and their offices in less populated areas, i.e. poorer coverage, for sake of costs. Vodafone didn't discriminate against their customer types with Sure Signal, what logic is behind EE doing so? What a balmy position to take with a much awaited product!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
MacPad

[ Edited ]

Looks like the price is £89 pounds from one of their documents (Page 7 of http://files.ee.co.uk/business/terms-and-conditions/price-guides/EE-Price-Guide-for-Small-Business.p... )

Signal Box
Signal Box is a simple self-installed unit that is capable of carrying 4
simultaneous calls, and can provide 3G voice and data coverage up to 15
metres. Broadband connection and spare Ethernet port on your router
required.
£89 one off purchase cost

Just no way that I can find to buy it. In other terms I did find that it would work with all EE, Orange and T-Mobile. 

So its all there, just no details on how you can buy it. I would be more than happy to pay the £89 so that I don't have to go outside to make calls.

Although I run my own business I have a non business T-Mobile contract, whilst the assistant was as helpful as possible on the tech support line, they could not supply me with details of how to buy or when.

It would be nice just to have an idea when this is coming, if it is going to be years I would like to know so that I can go with Vodaphone or O2 both of who offer Femtocells.

Please use plain text.
Investigator
jcwacky

Looks like something is happening, the "Coming Soon" has vanished from this page: http://business.ee.co.uk/public-sector/products/coverage-solutions/2g-signal-box

Please use plain text.
Investigator
jcwacky

Just called them, the signal box is launching today, and will cost £106.80. Forgot to ask if it's just for businesses though.

Please use plain text.
Star Contributor
winston

I explained to them that I have indoor signal issues and would like to purchase a Vodafone sure signal equivalent products from them but they said no, they don't selling such product.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
P.S. I don't work for EE
Please use plain text.
Investigator
jcwacky

I just tweeted EE about Signal Boxes and they said:

"They are only available to business customers at the moment. But keep checking the web site."

Please use plain text.
Investigator
scottallison

FYI, Orange's Signal Boost uses a standard called UMA. This allows a compatible phone to use any wifi signal to make/receive calls and send/receive texts, as well as use data. The restriction is that not that many phones support UMA. It works well, my Dad uses it in an area with no mobile signal at all.
Please use plain text.