EE Community

Investigator
danio1972

Dropped Calls Problem

I called 150 about this yesterday but I really don't think the agent understood what I was saying.

I have had more dropped calls since moving to EE from Orange in the last 2 weeks than I've had in the previous 2 years; no exageration.

Watching what's happening, the signal as I travel around the country is 3G or maybe LTE for a minor portion of the time; I'm not seeing 2G, ever!

While thats fine, I'm finding that when I get dropped calls it's becuase the 3G signal has fallen to say 1 bar, it's not handing off to a 2G signal to retain the call.  Often the carrier remains open and my call remains 'in progress' although the other side has been dropped.  The person I called tells me they hear speach go 'digitised' and then the call fails.

My questions is (and was to 150 yesterday) should the EE call be falling back to 2G?

While LTE and fast data is great being able to make reliable calls is a fundamental point of having a phone; EE should not loose sight of this!

Star Contributor
winston

Re: Dropped Calls Problem

Hi Danio,

Given the current technology, LTE can only be used for carrying data only. So whenever you make a phone call, your phone will fall back to 3G or 2G.

Now regarding to 2G, I have never expericed this issue and I suspect if that's something relating to your phone's settings or bad masks within the areas you visited.

Which phone do you have at the moment ? Make sure your phone is set to "Automatic" rather than "LTE/3G only". 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
P.S. I don't work for EE
Investigator
danio1972

Thanks,

Sure; I understand about LTE and calls...

Well, I've had dropped calls in a number of differing locations.  So far being Manchester, Sheffield, Selby, Birmingham, Chester le Street.  I get about a bit you see :smileyhappy:

My phone is an iPhone 5, it is set to Automatic too.

150 checked those settings but I didn't really see why them asking if LTE was enabled would have a varience on whether a call dropped given that currently voice traffic doesn't go over LTE in the UK

Do you ever see a 2G signal on your handset, even when signal is low?  As I say, since migrating to EE from orange I haven't seen a 2G signal it's always 3G - even if only 1 bar

Established Contributor
daveuk

Sounds like your problem is exactly that - your phone failing to fall back to 2G when it can't maintain a 3G signal. I'm on 4GEE and I've noticed that my S3 does fall back to 2G as required (though fortunately that's not very often).

Star Contributor
winston

I'm on iPhone 5. I get LTE and 3G when I'm out and I get 3G/E/O when I'm at home. Perhaps try reset network settings ?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
P.S. I don't work for EE
Investigator
danio1972

OK; I'll try that and see if it's any different over the next few days
Investigator
jess1912

I've got an iphone 5 too and mine's dropped calls constantly since i got it. 

Last night i was on the phone for 15 minutes and the call dropped 4 times. It's getting beyond a joke.

Can anyone suggest anything that seems to have worked for them in terms of fixing the issue?

Investigator
danio1972

Hi, resetting my network setting fixed my issue completely.  Since doing hat I don't think I've more than a couple of dropped calls.

Investigator
Nigel

Hi all, 

My wife has a iphone 5 on orange ee (not 4g) and suffers the same. When I enquired why my galaxy s3 or note 2 dont have the same problem, the operator explained that when the signal goes, say a mast goes down, the galaxy's drop to 2g to continue with the call.

Iphone 5 on orange is 4g/3g only, so is unable to drop to 2g to continue, hence the problems.

We have called 150 and reset the network 3x's now and she is still suffering the same problems, dropped call, aweful call quality and the person on the other end of the phone constantly saying they cant hear her.

Ordered a sim adaptor to try the nano sim in another phone to see if its any better. will at least then be sure if its the phone, sim or network.... 

Valued Contributor
Mark_philpot

Don't forget here people 2G/4G are using a very similar bandwidth on 1800mHz so being able to set an iPhone to 3G & 4G only just doesn't happen. A good way to tell if your call transfers to 2G voice only whilst in a call is to put it into test mode and see the dB level rises to around -50. You can do this on iDevices by entering *3001#12345#* then call. This number cannot be stored & dialed you must enter it each time & then call. This test mode will give you loads of information if your GSM/UMTS/LTE knowledgable.
Another major flaw with the EE network is that they have so much capacity (numerous cell sites) your phone some times doesn't actually know which 1 to connect to.... Result drop call especially when on the move. I know this information won't sort your problem but gives you a little bit of knowledge on the network works. Smooth transitions would be great but it doesn't always work like that.
Investigator
jamzack

My husband and I both got our iphone5s on the same day, he had nothing but trouble with dropped calls and internet loss, resetting the network data cures the internet part but not the dropped call part. He was given a new sim, made no difference, now been given new handset from Apple and seems better at the moment although they don't seem to think the proplem is the handset and nor do I. Now my phone has started to drop calls as the person next to me calls just to test it! Bizarre coincidence as his is cured and now mine fails? I did the test mode and it came out as -92, is that good or bad? Not quite sure what steps to take next as I can't be doing with a phone that cant take calls, pretty pointless, any ideas or suggestions?

Investigator
nscc2

Exactly the same issue with me. A new iphone 5 and Im constantly getting dropped calls - I had 60 in the space of 3 hours the other day and Im lucky if I can complete a call without losing it. The 2G explanation might be correct but in the meantime Im left with an almost unuseable phone. Without doubt this is the worst network I have ever been on. Phoning customer service was a waste of time as theyhad little to offer. As I rely on my phone for work im really not sure what to do - wait and hope EE come up with a fix or spend to money to get out of the contract and go to O2!  Its that bad!! And EE are in denial.

Explorer
Chewydean1

At first I thought that it was just my 4s playing up but wife has htc with same snag. Dropping nearly every call or one side of the call is dead. Turned 3G off and things seem better. It all started when they announced 4g is active in our area. Tried to ring tmobile and after having to dance around keypad to get tech department, was told they are busy and then cut off!! Getting bloody annoyed !!
Investigator
Anthony38

I am currently on my 3rd brand new Samsung Galaxy S3 Handset due to this problem and still it has not been resolved. I have even replaced the sim card and still the same problem. I drive for a living in London and I would say that 50%+ of my daily calls "Drop Out" resulting in me having to redial the contact sometimes up to 3-4 times, and everytime this happens my signal strength is at 2  bars and above. I have spoken to Samsung Support and they are clueless as too what it could be? They have repaired one handset allegedly but it still persisted? 

I have spoken to T-Mobile UK countless times and they are pretty clueless too? Its like going round in a circle, and I have come to the end of my tether. The device is great at being a hand held tablet/computer but as a primary phone to make and recieve calls it is utterly useless. I have noticed that the calls Drop Out more when I am driving and not stationary, it is clearly a Network Problem but I think that EE/T-mobile/Orange are in denial about this issue.

I have 10 months remaining on my contract, I have been with T-Mobile 15 years, im voting with my feet when my contract expires.